Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you recommend a head for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nails, Oct 23, 2000.

1. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I have a friend who needs a new head. She's using a 8 ohm Peavey 4x10, and just wants to upgrade her head for some more power and a better tone, then maybe the cab later, now she's playing through an old Peavey head (I can't remember the name of it right now.) Could you guys give some suggestions on some amps that are about 300 watts into 8 ohms (even if it's mono bridged), look good (she won't play anything that's ugly, so this is a huge factor in her case), and doesn't have to many knobs, or bells and whistles (she's still kind of novice, and not very good at getting a good sound yet, but the band she plays in needs her to have better and louder gear)?

Brands/models I thought about are Gallien Kruger (800RB, 1001RB), Fender (Bassman 400), Eden (highway man and roadrunner), and SWR (Redhead bass combo, Bass 350, Bass 750, SM500, Workingman's 4004.) But most of those are either to complicated, not that attractive to her, or just not loud enough at 8 ohms.

The singer/rhythm guitarist in her band is working at the huge guitar store known as Mars, so he could get her a new head for cost and tax, so price isn't to much of an issue in this case. What do you guys think?

2. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I have a SM 400S and a 350 and love both. You indicate that she doesn't find these attractive but since I don't know what she does find esthetics pleasing it's difficult to advise you. As for the wattage, I find both of the amps to be sufficient for most occassions. SWR amps are 2 ohms which means she can add plenty of extension cabinets and more speaker surface will give more audible presence than watts. My $.02.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If Eden is in the price range, either of the two you mentioned would be good. I'd even recommend the Traveler Plus WT-400 head.

4. Man, nothing's as elegant-looking as an Eden head (well, the Navigator is a bit ugly, eh Mr. Nelson?). Of course, I would say that 200 watts powering an Eden 4x10 is going to be louder than 300 watts powering a Peavey 4x10. You may want to save a little money on the amp and get a 4-ohm D-410XLT and a WT-300, both used. I have a WT-300 and an 8-ohm D-210T, both used, and they sound monstrous; I'm saving up for a used D-212XLT for more bottom on my low B string.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    She wants loud, simple and can get it at cost: Ampeg SVT

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Why not an EBS Fafner? Rather powerful, easy controls, and great sound. It's up to her if it looks good, though (I don't know if I do, but I really don't care). If she continues with playing, that's surely a versatile amp that lasts, too!

7. ...assuming she wants to hump a 90# head around.

8. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Oh brother, are you kidding me? It has to look good?
    I can understand not wanting alot of bells and whistles, but has to look good? LOL! Tell her in this businees to leave the good looks to the bass, not the amp. I don't find the Edens at all attractive, but I would love to have one. I think SWR's are pretty nice to look at, but I'm not impressed with them. What I'm trying to say is, tell her to concentrate on what sounds good first. If she's a beginner, now is the time to tool around with the sound you want. All of the recommendations you made are fine. Get her out there to try them out.

As far as the SVT goes. I love mine!! This thing looks like an ancient dinosaur with few bells and whistles, but you can't beat the sound. Tonal heaven baby!!

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    michaeln,

I agree about the weight...I wouldn't cart around an SVT but it meets all her other criteria, simple loud and looks good.

10. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    >I agree about the weight...I wouldn't cart around an SVT but it meets all her other criteria, simple loud and looks good.

Looks good? Hmmm, guess it's a matter of opinion.

11. Out of the amps you mentioned the GK800 has the best bang for the buck. That was my first good amp, it's very reliable and easy to operate. It also has some very useful filters and Biamp options.<p>
    IMO ampeg SVT are the bomb, but unless this girl is China from the WWF or has a p-whipped boyfriend to carry it it's out of her league.
    BTW, SVT classics are 120 lbs. (that's about what a girl weighs, eh) and an SVT II (rackmount) is 80 lbs. They aren't very well balanced either...most of the weight is in the transformer side. LUV the tone, though.

12. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Thanks for the advice guys, I didn't even think about the Ampeg SVT. And even though it sounds crazy, she does want something that looks good (I go for sound first, but thats just what I do.) Me and the lead singer like to joke about how an amp "ain't pretty enough for her", we're Texan and allowed to say ain't.

I've narrowed my choices for recommendation to 3. The Gallien Kruger 1001RB, and the SWR Bass 750, and the SWR SM500. I haven't led her around the bass amp section yet (I live 5 hours from this band and I'm like the unofficial bass guru,) so I don't know if she would consider these based on looks, but for wattage they hold their own. Next time I'm in a music store with her and any of these are in there we'll plug up and see what she thinks. If she likes the sound but says it's ugly, I'll smack her and tell her what Doug said. Cause we all know it's about the sound. I'll also talk to her about planning ahead about getting a new cab.

Thanks again.

13. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Well I didn't exactly say smack her!:D

Nails, those would probably be good choices for her. I can see her getting a SWR, based on the shiny metal surfaces. Ooooooooo!;)