1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you recommend one good thumb position book?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by stormwriter, May 10, 2005.

1. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I actually got a good basic ability playing in thumb position by working through George Vance's Progressive Repertoire Volume Two For The Double Bass. It is a book of well-known tunes, not endless exercises. Comes with a CD with Rabbath playing the tunes as well.

By the time I was near the end of the book, I had a good understanding of thumb position and was able to apply it to jazz as well. This is not an exclusive thumb position book, but it was very valuable for getting comfortable in thumb position.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    As just mentioned about shifting the Thumb, I rarely use this method. In the lower positions most of us use 1-2-4. That is 3 notes in a single position. As we shift we have only 3 notes unless we Pivot or use the 4-finger method. In Thumb position, I feel you can play faster and cleaner with 1-2-3 and using the Thumb only on occassion. I have used the Thumb in other places besides the octave but I prefer mainly to use 1-2-3 with Pivots and shifts.

As I mentioned earlier here and maybe in another thread, Simandl I as well as any Book, scale, tune or excerise can be played one octave higher to work on the Thumb position. Unless the Book has Specific training and insight of how to play better in thumb position, I would prefer to play up an octave with every piece of music first b4 buying or using only Simaldl II or something similar.

3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    +1

I got this book a number of years ago from Lemur Music. I think I paid 20 something. The last time I checked, I think the price was up around 40 something. If you're serious and don't mind some hard work, it's worth it.

Joe