Can you run Ampegs at 2.6 ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BLU Dragon, May 25, 2002.

1. Just bought a used Ampeg SVT III. (The predecessor to the SVT 3Pro, from what I can tell.) Nice tone and tons of power through my JBL 15's -- but only as long as I run it at 4 ohms. Going through just one at 8 ohms (200 watts) I lose quite a bit of volume and it starts to sound sort of anemic. I'm thinking of adding a 210 or 212 cabinet to balance out the frequency response a little bit. My question is, if I get such a cabinet with a 4 ohm rating so I can use it by itself for smaller venues, would I still be able to use the 8 ohm and 4 ohm cabinets together (2.6 ohms, if I remember correctly) when I needed the extra bottom? Or should I stick with an 8 ohm 210 cabinet and keep the minimum load to the amp at 4 ohms? The Ampeg SVT III seems to be, essentially, the preamp section from the SVT 2 Pro matched with the power amp section from the B 2-R (or the SVT H). Would it be 2.6 ohm stable?

2. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The minimum load for the SVT3pro is 4ohms, so I guess the SVT3 is the same. It usually says the minimum load on the back of the amp near the speaker out jacks. Take a look. But dont go lower than 4ohms if your not sure it can handle it.
  3. Thanks for the reply, Jock. The amplifier section is actually the one out of the 2BR, rather than the SVT 3Pro. One of the changes that they made. Will check to see if the min. ohm rating is listed.

4. FYI -- I just brought the amp back from the club where I had it set up. Checked the back of the amp, and the minimum ohm rating is listed on the amp. It is, indeed, four ohm min.

Thanks for the help. :)