Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you run this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jan 27, 2003.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Do powered speakers work as normal passive ones if you don't plug in the power or does this damage the internals of the speakers?

Thanks in advance.

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Most powered speakers only take mic/instrument/line level signals, not speaker level signals.

3. Are you talking about speaker cabs with built in power amps? Passive speakers are something else entirely.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If the cabinet that you're describing has a power amp built into it, the only input is a line level from a preamp or similar.

You can't use them like a passive speaker cabinet unless you somehow disconnect the internal amplifier from the speaker. I wouldn't think that the OEM would include such a jack.

5. Hmm, I think I understand. Are you talking about just not plugging the power section into the wall? I doubt it will work at all without modifications.

6. Hey, can someone name examples of powered speakers please?

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    A lot of PA speakers I've seen, like the one's in my school for example, are powered. They plug the mixer straight into them, and the speakers are plugged into the wall outlet.

8. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    JBL Eon series. Takes a line/mic input.

9. OOh ok, I thought there weere powered speakers designed for bass.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Way back in the late '60s/early '70s there was the Acoustic 360. It featured a preamp on top and a powered speaker cabinet. The cabinet featured a single 18 in. driver in a folded horn cabinet with a 200 watt power amp in the bottom.

That's the amp that was used by Larry Graham, Jaco, John Paul Jones and many others.

I know of a guy who built his own powered 1x10s and then drove them with a SansAmp Bass Driver...or he might have used the Acoustic Driver for the sweepable midrange control.