Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can you slave power to a walkabout?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smallfry, Sep 28, 2004.

1. smallfry

smallfry

Aug 30, 2004
    there is no slave port, but a guy at a local music shop told me you can slave additional power to a walkabout 300w, using the effects loop. i dunno, sounds kinda fishy to me, but is that possible? use the walkabout as the preamp and get power from another source, connecting them with the effects loop 3/4 inch jack?

hmmm.

2. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Hey...
    This is from the Walkabout Owner's Manual...
    "The EFFECTS LOOP section of the WalkAbout is responsible for handling the interfacing of external signal processing via its RETURN and SEND jacks located on the Rear Panel.
    RETURN: This is the patch point between the pre-amp and power amp for returning a processed signal from your outboard effects back to the WalkAbout. Because this is an input to the power amp, the RETURN jack can be used to access the power amp only. This is handy to use the WalkAbout as a slave power amp or when multiple WalkAbout units are connected for large venue applications.
    SEND: This is the output of the pre-amp and allows you to send a signal to your effects for processing."
    Hopefully this help. I have a Walkabout (and love it BTW), but I've never tried the Slave Amp angle.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I actually had an unbalanced output added to my Walkabout (in addition to a speakon output) for just this purpose (or to use as a tuner send). To date, though, I haven't had an occassion to use it.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    based on what peabody sez that mesa sez..............
    you should be able to use the effects send to any poweramp
    my guess is, as long as nothing's plugged into the return jack, the walkabout's poweramp will still be getting a signal from the preamp even when you send the signal (via the effects send) to another poweramp
    i have no experience with the mesa, but i've doen just that with a lot of other amps (like swr) that wire their effects loops the same way
    so ya should be able to have the walkabout running and send a signal to a poweramp and run a couple of 8x10s off of it :D

5. smallfry

smallfry

Aug 30, 2004
    i called mesa, and it looks like it can be done with the send. actually, the guys said you could run one cabinet right off the walkabout speaker out and then use the send to send the pre signal to another power amp and cab. that is great news.

6. smallfry

smallfry

Aug 30, 2004
    now the choice for an additional power supply? could i just use any powere amp i wonder? like a vocal power amp, just to power the additional cabinet (since the tone will come from the walkabout pre?

why are vocal or other power amps so much cheaper than like, and aguilar or swr power amp. what is the difference. reliabilty?

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    when you say vocal power amp i assume you mean a pa power amp
    any time one of us here uses a power amp (like stewart, crown, qsc, mackie, crest) we are using all purpose/pa power amps unless the amp is specifically designed/marketed for bass.
    the aguilar power amp you mentioned is a tube power amp marketed specifically for bass, but you could use 2 of them to power a pa
    you get what you pay for when you buy a power amp. Light ones liek qsc PLX and stewart amps cost a bit more because of the technology that goes into making them. But crown and crest amps are heavy and expensive. One of the big things to remember is not all poweramps put out their stated wattage in the low frequencies. There are all kind of ways to measusre power output, and a lot of cheap power amps are rated very liberally with regards to how much power they produce. The guys on this forum can steer you in the right direction if you want to ask about specific power amps. I would definitely ask here before you buy a cheap one and end up getting burned.

8. smallfry

smallfry

Aug 30, 2004
    thanks for the info man. i will post again searching for info on a good power amp.