1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you tell me about the Eden Nemesis tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slap-a-da-bass, Oct 24, 2009.

1. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    Hey all,

A few weeks ago I posted about looking for my first bass gigable bass combo amp. My music styles areblues, classic rock, some funk. I've been looking and listening at different combo's and have it down to a couple of amps.

One is the new G&K MB210. I tried this, thought is was fantastic and you could tell there was just more punch (power) behind it compared to the 115 model. I've ordered one, but as many of you know thier on back order. I don't like the idea of the stripped down head in these MB combo's (no loop, post DI, tuner out, etc.)

The Eden nemesis line keeps me interested though. I like that they are a combo, but have most of the features of a head. Timber22 has one for sale I'm interested, but I'm looking for a tone description and/or comparision to a G&K tone. I've also tried the Acoustic B200 that I really liked tone wise.

To give a little more information, I've tried a Ampet BA115 & a B2RE head & a 410 avatar. I don't like the ampeg tone.

Can you tell me where the Nemesis falls?

Also, what differences are there between the Eden NC and the RS lines?

Thanks,

2. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    I am interested in this too, subscribed

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If I'm not mistaken, the RS line is a later line and the NS line is from the 90's till about 2005-6. Anyway, the sound of their heads is about midway between GK and Ampeg. Used to own a 200w 210 combo that was pretty cool. Recently I played through the 115 version of the same combo on a gig. It was good but I think I like the 210 better. I think they're pretty good amps for what they are. Better than most combos at that price. Don't care for Eden but I like Nemesis.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Just to be clear, the 2 Ampeg's you tried out were not a good representation of the "Ampeg sound". Not trying to sway you one way or another, just don't want you to think either of those 2 products were indicative of Ampeg's, in general. I too, like the Nemesis combo's. Sort of an in-between old school and modern type of tone.

5. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    I love my Nemesis RS210. The only thing I would do is add another 210 for getting VERY loud. I play mine mostly in a 200 person room and don't need to crank it to a scary point (read: scared of breakage).

The edge/distortion knob is interesting, but I rarely use it. It doesn't give a sound I like, but I don't like a raw distorted sound, I like warm OD.

The Enhance knob is really cool because of how it raises the lows, cuts mids, and pops highs. If you get one from the RS series, it should have a footpedal with two switches: one for mute, the other to engage/disengage the enhance. This lets you work out two different sounds, like a graphic EQ pedal built in to your amp.

The semi-parametric EQ is very useful for dialing out that one band that you don't like, and the 3-knob is very sensitive and sounds really good.

The built in compressor is really just a limiter, not much else. EDIT: and is bypassable (is that a word?).

I also used to own a 410 of the older NS series and really liked it. However, I hated that it was entirely passive cooled and that scared me too much when I would nearly melt my hand touching the back of it. But I was younger and easily scared and broke.

And the NC line is rather cheap and meant for more of practice amps, not much for gigging. (As far as I know.)

Over all, it has a very transparent sound and a lot of high-end features. If you like it, go for it and live regret-free.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would have gigged my NS combo if I hadn't bought a Markbass the week after I got it ;)

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Have a look at my profile. I've owned an NC410 combo amp since 1997, and an NC210 combo since 2006.

FYI, the NC series is the precursor to the current RS series. The main differences I can detect are a more robust power section on the larger RS models, plus plywood cab construction - rather than the fiberglass shell design of the NC. I've found my NC210 to be the perfect solution for personal practice, low-volume rehearsals, small-venue gigs, and recording sessions.

I would characterize the Nemesis sound as warm, deep, and relatively transparent. I suppose you could describe it as having most of the clarity of GK, with most of the warmth of Ampeg - although I would not agree that the NC is 'cheap' or 'intended chiefly as a practice amp'. The features on the amps are indeed quite high-end - particularly for gear in this mid-priced market category. I regard Nemesis gear as pro-quality all the way.

MM

8. Giaime

Giaime

Oct 9, 2009
    Venice, Italy
    I own an RS400 head and I agree with jam.majors analysis. The head is powerful, loud and with some high-end features (DI with level, tuner out, limiter, semi-parametric eq...).

The sound is very clean, and sufficiently modern (but not synthetic). The Ehnance function is great with single coil passives (I've got a Squier VM Jazz), the distortion is nothing to write home about (and is not foot-switchable). Very effective EQ.

I tried it in comparison with an Ampeg SVT3 and an EBS HD350 and I found the EBS very very near sonically to the Eden, you can get almost the same sounds out of them, but the Nemesis is cheaper.

All in all it's a clean amp, not imposing its own tone, I believe.

9. TheBassTard

TheBassTard

Sep 29, 2008
    Near Chicago
    I owned the 4x10 Combo in the 90's. It handled most gigs without a problem.

Without FOH support there were a few times I found myself wanting a bit more volume though.

For the price...the tone was great...plenty of low end...crisp and punchy.

Thing got hot enough to fry an egg on but never failed me.=)

I've since moved on to GK.

10. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    I think I may be getting two things confused. The older ones I thought were the NS series, not NC. But I did some looking and found out I'm wrong! The ones I thought NC referred to were the little tilt-back, weak on features "EN" amps they are selling here: http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/enseries/combos/en12.aspx.
    Also, turns out I owned a NC410, and I do remember it having been made in 1997. That thing was wonderful and I was stupid to get rid of it. (As I say of all the equipment I've sold.)

Either way, the older ones are fantastic and the weak on features ones are... weak on features.

11. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    Man, you guys are fantastic, just the information I was looking for.

I really wish I could try before I buy, but from you descriptions, I think it'll work for me. As I said before, I really like the features compared to the striped down MB combo, and the weight is just a few pounds more.

Does anyone have any recoreded mp3's of the Nemesis?

12. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    I wish I had some recordings for you. If it helps, I had a GK 700RB210 combo and this one sounds cleaner and a bit more even across the spectrum.

Ever since I went back to a Stingray I haven't used the EQ at all, just the enhance knob and its bypass footswitch.

13. anything eden related i ever played on felt really sterile. too hi-fi for me.. but the kids are into that now

14. Giaime

Giaime

Oct 9, 2009
    Venice, Italy
    Yeah me too, with my Jazz bass, I use a little bit of Ehnance (9 o'clock) and no eq, no parametric. With a dark cabinet like what I'm using now (a borrowed Mesa Powerhouse 4x10) I have to raise the highs about at 1 o'clock, not more. As said earlier, the eq is very effective and small rotations can give different sounds (I hate those eq, as found in some guitar amps, which doesn't sound different on 1 or on 10).

I have to say also that the sound coming from the headphone output is very similar to what you get with a good cabinet, so maybe today if I have the time I could post a couple of mp3s.

15. :D

16. pdubya

pdubya

Nov 11, 2008
    Australia
    yeah i dig my nemesis na650 a 2nd hand pawnshop prize.....however i have caned the living death out of it and must replace it with a markbass ......to max the headroom just crank the volume to 10 and use the gain as the master volume....great amps,especially with a warwick115 =p

17. pdubya

pdubya

Nov 11, 2008
    Australia
  18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Those EN combos actually sound very good, and seem like good values for their street prices, though most are basically practice amps. The EN15, however, would be a decent amp for rehearsals, small gigs, etc. It has decent power, and is the only one with a DI.

19. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I think the series you meant is the "N" series (I know, it's starting to get confusing). Don't know if those are even in production anymore, but if not it's probably no great loss, as they are/were of mediocre quality - and as you've suggested, useful mostly as practice amps. Considering the numerous combo amps now on the market that are of gig quality - and are not much more expensive than the Nemesis "N" series (if at all), it's kind of hard to justify buying one of those - particularly if new... :meh:

From what I've seen & experienced, the "NC", "RS" and the brand new "EN" series are all good stuff. In particular, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the Nemesis EN 700 - the newest version of the Nemesis standalone head with all the great features of the classic Nemesis combo amps...plus one or two more... :cool:

MM

20. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I'm still using my NC-410 that I bought used 4+ years ago. The thing won't die, and is the ultimate weekend warrior amp. For a string of one nighters, it can't be beat. These days, it practically lives in the trunk of my car. Great tone, certainly adequate volume, excellent DI. It's just a really practical box.

I have other fancier rigs, but this is the one that gets the work.