Can you tell me about the Fender American FSR Jazz basses available?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BusyFingers, Nov 10, 2017.

1. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    One of the finest playing necks I've ever handled was a Fender FSR Jazz bass, which I believe was the 70's version. I am talking about the American versions, which are kind of pricey.

I am asking because I'm inching closer to my custom neck build and want to spec it similar to this bass.

My question is what kind of frets does the American 70's FSR Jazz have?

2. JTE

JTE Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    "FSR" means Factory Special Run, so it's not A model, it's a designation for for instruments made in a limited production batch. A consortium of small dealers can go together and order something different from the stock offerings for example. Could be anything from a stock model with a finish not offered on that model (e.g. a Vintage bass in Candy Apple Red) to pretty well customized like a Precision body, Jazz neck, Buddy Guy polka dots, and active electronics.

Without knowing WHICH FSR it was, kinda hard to tell.

3. Most FSR Fenders are not ordered from dealers - although that happens - but made by Fender for what reasons ever.
    I remember two different Fender FSR 70's Jazz Basses. One from 2002 or 2003. This was identical with the Vintage Series 75 Jazz bass Fender offered until the new AVS was introduced a few years ago.
    The only difference were the colors and the matching headstock in the same color.
    Many FSR Fenders are this way. I have a FSR '64 Jazz and it is in Daphne Blue and has a matching headstock. Otherwise it is identical with the AVS '64 Jazz.
    IIRC there was a US '70s Fender Jazz Special Run (FSR) about 2 or 3 years ago. This was a bit different.
    The new AVS '70s Fender model is a copy of a '74 Jazz Bass. This has replaced the '75 model and doesn't have the 3 bolt neckplate with the adjustment system, but an ordinary 4 bolt neck plate.
    The FSR was like the older '75 model. Maybe they had 3 bolt bodies and necks lying around and wanted to get rid of them and turn them into something special.
    I don't think that the necks changed or the frets they're using.

4. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    This was one of the early 2000's models. I can't remember which year. The one I played had the matching headstock. It was in Candy Apple Red, too. It was definitely a 70's model, as well. Do you know what spec the frets would have been on that model?

5. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    If that particular FSR Fender really did it for you, why not just buy that particular bass?

Kmrumedy likes this.
  6. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    I was about to write the same thing.

7. Model Name: Fender FSR '75 Jazz Bass
    Model Number: 017-4300-(809)
    Body: Alder
    Neck: Maple
    Fingerboard: Rosewood, (7.25" Radius/184 mm)
    No. of Frets: 20 Vintage Size
    Scale Length: 34" (864 mm)
    Width @ Nut: 1.500" (38 mm)
    Hardware: Chrome
    Machine Heads: Standard
    Bridge: Vintage '70s with Single Groove Saddles
    Pickguard: 3-Ply White (I think it's closer to parchment)
    Pickups: 2 Vintage Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups
    Controls: Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master Tone
    Colors: (809) Candy Apple Red
    Unique Features: Matching Painted Headstock,
    White Binding with Pearloid Block Position Inlays,
    "Bullet" Truss Rod Adjustment,
    3-Bolt Neck Plate with Tilt Adjustment Feature
    Source: CORONA (US)
    Accessories: Black Tolex Case
    U.S. MSRP: $2,199.99

SOLD - 2002 Fender USA FSR 75RI Jazz Bass- Candy Apple Red- Matching Headstock- 1 of 250

BusyFingers likes this.
  8. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    This is exactly what it was. I could remember it had a 7.25 radius neck, but I wasn't sure if it had the vintage frets, too. Thanks