1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can you tell me if this will last me a while?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maggot_me, Apr 26, 2009.

1. maggot_me

maggot_me

Mar 20, 2009
    maggot me
    I am starting out(by starting I mean very little guitar experiance) playing bass and I need to know if this is good for beggining
    1. Whirlwind EGC Guitar Instrument Cable 20 Foot 2 Pack New.
    2. Peavey Grind Bass 5 BXP NTB 5-String Electric Bass New.
    3. Peavey Millennium and Grind Bass Case New.
    4. Ibanez PD7 Tone Lok Phat Hed Bass Overdrive Pedal New.
    5. Ibanez AC109 9VDC Regulated Power Supply New.

PLEASE tell me if I need to switch anything out or whatever. Thanks

-Pedro
    :bassist::bassist:

P.S. I got an amp XD

2. Please tell me that you didn't neglect to buy an amp. :oops:

But yes, that rig should last you a good, long while. That's better than what I started on, for sure.

3. You have a cable and distortion pedal but no amp? :eyebrow:

4. maggot_me

maggot_me

Mar 20, 2009
    maggot me
    I got an amp already cause I play but not often and im guna get seriouse with it now...soo =D

5. Oh, okay. You scared me for a 'sec there, buddy. :p

To be honest, I would ditch the Ibanez pedal. Honestly, I would just focus all of my energy on playing, and not on effects.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, skip the pedals, focus on playing.

7. maggot_me

maggot_me

Mar 20, 2009
    maggot me
    that sounds good...save me a couple bucks so i can switch the stock strings.....so when would getting an effect be a good idea?

8. Great idea! A new set of strings will do wonders for your tone.

Honestly, other than my trusty old Morley Power Wah, I've never felt the need to use any effects. It all depends from player to player, but, from my personal experience, the less you have in your effects chain, the better.

What kind of music do you play?

9. rogypop

rogypop

Jan 10, 2009
    Croatia
    there's many players here on tb, including me, playing for years and using no effects. in beginning my advice to you is to avoid tone-sucking, dynamics-eating effects but if you are really into it get yourself one nice chorus/flanger, it can make practicing more interesting and give you some nice ideas

10. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Too many players use effects to cover bad techinque when they're starting out. You might consider experimenting with effects once you're certain that you have good technique and that the effects in question will add to your sound, rather than hide sloppy playing.

11. maggot_me

maggot_me

Mar 20, 2009
    maggot me
    Well I LOVE Three Days Grace and thats the type of music I want to play but I think later on I will get another bass for my Slipknot metal crave. But yeah just like Three Days Grace, I guess that's normal rock.

12. Do you have fairly large hands?

The Peavey Grind is a 35" scale...personally, I would start out on a 4 string...the Grind is available as a 4 string...JMO...

13. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I love my Grind. I bought it for $100 buck about 4 years ago from my teacher. Love it.

Good luck with you beginnings!

14. maggot_me

maggot_me

Mar 20, 2009
    maggot me
    thanks! I tried it out and I love it, its not that i dont play guitar at all i mean i play acoustic just starting out bass =P

-Pedro
    :bassist::bassist:

15. You'll be able to use a bass like that for a good, long time. Much better than what most people start off on.

Save up some, and have it set up to your liking, as well. Learning to play is a lot easier when you aren't fighting your bass.