Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you tell me what kind of bass i have?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by storm10, Oct 11, 2004.

1. My dad just bought me a bass and we have no clue what brand. Here are some pictures[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My dad bought it from a music store for 3800 but of course my dad didnt even look at the brand.

2. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Is there a label inside the bass? Just looking at it, it reminds me of some the basses Gliga is currently producing. Is it carved, laminated, hybrid?? Which music store was it purchased from?

3. it says andrea on the label inside and the serial number is a04038 and im not sure of the name of the store but we bought it from a place in austin, texas that only sells stringed instruments

edit: it was bought at violins etc

4. i think the top is carved and the back and sides are plywood. and also i found out that my dad hasnt bought it yet but that were renting it as of right now. right now im only using this bass to play jazz. so there is a possiblity that i will be getting a differnt bass when we go to actually buy one

5. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Right on... Sounds like it may be Mark Rubin's shop, Violins Etc. in Austin. These days, labels are almost worthless, but just thought I'd ask. Violins Etc. offers a very similar-looking instrument, http://www.violinsetc.com/violinsetc/product.asp?dept_id=401&pf_id=Hapsburg04 (this is a fully-carved model), that is produced in Romania. Again, the bass looks like a Gliga-made instrument to my eyes, and Gliga happens to be a Romanian company...

6. yes that does very much look like it what are some things i should look for to see if it is hybrid or fully carved. Is this bass any good also?

7. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    It's fairly easy to tell whether he top and back are carved or laminated... Looking at the very edges of the top and back, you will be able to actually see several plays of wood for a laminate, vs. continuous grain for a carved.

8. Most laminated basses do not have inlaid purfling (that's the decorative lines that are just inside of the edge of the top and back). On laminates it is usually painted on. On carved basses the edge has a little carved lip that is thicker than the rest of the top and back. I like the character of the lighting in your pics, however, this is not the best way to photograph a bass for ID purposes. Really I should start a thread but for starters:

• Photograph it outside where there is more light.
    • Photograph it against a background that is darker than the bass

With doublebasses the brand is not so important as how it sounds and plays. I have seen some Romanian basses called Florea Carpathia that look similar to yours;- also Mathias Thoma. The label that says Andreas might be Andreas Eastman, which is another factory made bass. If it is a Gliga, these have a generally good reputation. If you don't mind telling, about how much would this one cost if you bought it?

:)

9. another thing is that im going to be playing this through a amp alomost 100% of the time so should i look for a cheaper bass but get better strings and pickups?

10. Others may disagree, but I say a big NO! NO! .
    Put the money into the bass! Get better strings when you break those and use an inexpensive pickup until you really know what you want that you are not getting out of that one. For $3800, this should be a very good beginner bass, but you really shouldn't spend less. For amplification, a small Fender (25 watt) like the Rumble or Bassman will give you enough power to make the bass feed back, even with a good transducer. If the bass will feed back with a small amp, you certainly don't need more "power to spare". It looks like the rental bass has a transducer of some type. What is that? Looks like a K&K or maybe a Realist?

11. Oh yeah! I missed those double clamp on transducers and was just looking at the plug in jack between the strings. I don't know much about the BP-100 Fishman, but their products are generally popular. Maybe someone else here has used one....?

12. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Call Mark Rubin, he'll tell you the history and probably alot more, knowing Mark. He travels to Europe and contracts the basses that work in his market, usually good instruments. The Gliga's he had a few years ago sound great, (one is mine now).
    The plain machine plate indicates that this is probably one of those described as a Hapsburg in the ad, or very similar.

13. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    the fishman bp 100 is probably the worst acoustic bass pickup out there, dony buy it. even with a preamp it still blows.

14. What Really Matters
    when pricing a string insturment:

1. The quality of the wood and workmanship
    2. The instrument's state of repair
    3. Label or attributed maker; any accompanying "papers"
    4. Sound...the last of the features to be considered.

There are many "no-name" BASSES for less than US $8,000, and prices will then fluctuate on the quality of the wood and the state of repair... and how much the sller has invested in the instrument!

"Using amplificationall the time" is no excuse to skimp on quality... why would you want to amplify something that sounds like poop in the first place?
    Determine your price range, then go shopping all over to find the best sounding instrument within your budget. Then find an amplification system and a Bow (for tone and intonation practice), and use the same criteria - lump together all the options you can afford to consider, then hide the price tags and get the BEST SOUNDING equipment.