Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you tell me what my bass is???!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by elfwin, Apr 7, 2004.

1. elfwin

elfwin

Apr 7, 2004
    Liverpool
    :help:
    Ok, i know this is gonna sound a bit stupid but i bought my fender p-bass off one of my brother's mates i'm not entirely sure what model it is.
    it's an active, but it has a painted head, i haven't really seen any others with that.
    so if anyone has any ideas it would be very gratefully recieved!!!
    Cheers

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Can you post a pic??

3. Does it look kinda like the bass pictured behind the Rickenbacker?

4. elfwin

elfwin

Apr 7, 2004
    Liverpool
    the body is different but it's the painted head the one in the picture. mine is literally a standard p-bass but just with this mystifying painted head!!

5. how many strings? whats the color?

6. elfwin

elfwin

Apr 7, 2004
    Liverpool
    it's a four string, red with three pick ups, three knobs that do something and a switch, sorry i'm not very good with the technical side of basses!

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    My guess is it's not a p-bass but a mid 80's MIJ jazz bass special. Is that bass a fretless? What does the headstock say?

8. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    First elfwin said "mine is literally a standard p-bass", but then he said it has three pickups? Does he mean the two split coils and a j pickup? Or does he mean three pickups as in some kind of Stu Hamm model?

[​IMG]

I don't know much about them except that they have three pickups and a painted head (like elfwin said). However, that model has five knobs instead of three knobs and a switch. I dunno if they had different setups in the past.

--Matthew

9. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Could be one of those Fender HM basses. They had 3 Jazz p/ups and a strat-styled 5 way switch. I'm pretty sure that they had a painted headstock.

10. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    In the past, in the past, stop living in the past Marge..... but I think you're right with the Stu Hamm

11. post a picture, it would make things 10 times easier. and if you dont have a dig. camera borrow someones, im dying to know what your talking about lol

12. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland

You're not really dying are you??

13. elfwin

elfwin

Apr 7, 2004
    Liverpool
    ok, let's try this again.
    it has a standard p-bass body, with frets, three knobs, a switch, three pickups, and it's an active. when i get back up to uni i can post a picture, but for now that's all i can give you! oh yeah and the painted head.
    thanx for all your help by the way. and whoever called me a 'he', i'm not, i'm a she!!!

14. elfwin

elfwin

Apr 7, 2004
    Liverpool
    ok, just checked the fender site and it's between an american deluxe or just a deluxe precision bass. neither of them have the painted head but they have the same body and seem to have the same switches etc. i don't think i'm ever gonna know!!

15. Does it have a pickguard?

16. elfwin

elfwin

Apr 7, 2004
    Liverpool
    no, not really. yeah it has a pickguard

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would guess a MIJ jazz bass special. Only fenders ive seen with those switches/pickups/painted headstock.

18. I think it's likely that by "three pickups", she may be referring to one P pickup (split coil, looks like two p'ups) and one J pickup.

That's my guess.