Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can you tell me what this bass is worth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Aug 25, 2004.

1. hey guys,
    I have a question about a bass for ya...an engineer that I worked with in nashville has a very interesting bass that he offered me and I just wanted to get an idea of what it's worth

It's a Fender Roscoe Beck 5, but it is the bass the Sugarbear (DC Talk's bassist) used in the recording of the album "Jesus Freak"...it's signed by sugar bear and says "jesus freak sessions" also...the bass is dead mint and I was wondering what it's worth since it's the bass used to record one of the highest selling Christian albums of all time,and also an album that's pretty important to modern music history....I think he said he wanted 850 for it (to help finish paying off his new MTD)

so what do you think resale value on this bass would be?

2. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    30 silver pieces.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I think, to the majority of buyers, the bass is simply a used Roscoe Beck 5 string with some writing on it (if I were buying, the writing would be scrubbed off the day it arrived). I wouldn't pay more than $800 for a used RB5 in mint condition.

They are great basses. I wouldn't expect it being signed by someone from DC Talk to raise the value in the slightest bit, though, to anyone except a hardcore fan with cash to burn.

4. I agree completely. Bought mine for $800 and sold it for $800.

5. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    is it the silver or the lp blue? I know sugar bear. We are buds and we share a platform sometimes. Pm me and I will tell you more..

6. Interesting, i didnt know that "Jesus Freak" was done with a Roscoe Beck. That was one of my first favorite albums of all time, and i loved the bass work on it. Never learned to play any of the tracks, just appreciated listening to it.

Also cool to finally know who laid the tracks on that album. In the album booklet, i thought i remembered the bass work being credited to someone by the name of Otto Price, unless thats his real name. Great bass player, really loved his sound too. What other good albums has he done work for?

Personally, id leave the writing on it, just cause im a fan, and i play in church alot so itd be a real neat reference to people. It wouldnt increase the value at all though; a good condition, used Roscoe 5 is about 700-800 anyway.

7. yah, Otto "sugarbear" Price

It was such an awesome experience to get to use that bass on a track...of course the first thing I did when I touched it was play the jesus freak line...lol

8. Yeah, that was a real great line in a rock song, but some of his playing on songs like "mind's eye" and "just between you and me" were great too; so funky, yet tasteful. They fit in there perfect but they just grooved. I think im gonna have to go back and learn those lines now, seeing as ive developed quite a bit in my playing since then... :D

9. At least 350 rupees.

10. not_jason

not_jason

Aug 4, 2004
    Maine
    the bass as a bass is only worth what it's worth a RB5 is worth, beyond that, you're pricing sentimental value. if his playing it on an album and his signiture increase it's value at all, it's to a very small demographic of fan-bassist-collectors who are 1. willing to pay several hundred dollars for a bass and are 2. willing to pay several hundred dollars for a piece of memorobelia. since there probably aren't many of those, you're unlikely to get a ton of competition for it on the open market. just my guess.

still, i'd market it as a DC Talk collectable first and a bass guitar second.