1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can you tell which is a P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by finfrocka, Jan 19, 2012.

1. bass demo 1

34.5%
  2. bass demo 2

41.8%
  3. carrots

23.6%
  1. finfrocka

finfrocka

Jul 12, 2005
    San Diego
    Ok guys, which is the P bass?

Option 1:

option 2:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. Wow tricky. The both have a certain P-ness about them (snigger)

I vote 1.

3. finfrocka

finfrocka

Jul 12, 2005
    San Diego
    I'll tell you what, you guys are going to be surprised which the p bass is.

4. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

Feb 9, 2011
    Chile
    tell us!

5. finfrocka

finfrocka

Jul 12, 2005
    San Diego
    The second track is the true p bass. The first track was a schecter stilleto elite 4 with the neck pickup solo'd. The schecter is an active bass as well. The P is passive.

6. Spambusta

Spambusta

Jan 11, 2012
    knew it! but...i'm playing my p-bass right now :D

7. finfrocka

finfrocka

Jul 12, 2005
    San Diego
    I was shocked about how good the schecter can nail a p bass tone. I can tell a difference between the two recordings but not a defining difference. They both have some good low mid action which is usually a good sign.

8. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

Feb 9, 2011
    Chile
    Yay!!! now I feel really important!

I thought it was the second track because I have a Jaguar bass with a P neck that, in active mode, sounds really like a P bass with the neck pup solo'd.

9. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I don't know, the second one sounds like every P Bass I've ever tried in a store, and the first one doesn't so much. To me, that is. Maybe I just guessed lucky but I felt like this one was pretty clear-cut?

10. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    You have quite a loud backround noise....

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    And your rhythm for Runaway is a bit off :p

12. conqr

conqr

Feb 16, 2009
    Just goes to show what a lot of us have said - a LOT of dual pickup basses can nail the 'P' tone with the neck pickup.

13. bottomend!

bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    I could tell when you got to the lowest note that it was #2. A real P doesn't have that kind of smooth low end as the bass in example #1.

14. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    I bet neither of them are P basses!

I guess bass 2. The first sounded to me like some sort of humbucker like pickup, Musicman, or something like that. The second track sounded much clearer, and I could never tell the difference between an active and passive bass. Total guess for me, really.

EDIT: I listened again, so deceiving! Eager for the answer though. Love these sound polls.

Excellent playing by the way, whatever that was, I dig it.

15. finfrocka

finfrocka

Jul 12, 2005
    San Diego
    Ya it was a little bit, but I wasn't being too picky with the recording, i just wanted to throw something together real quick. But your right, upon a second listen i know exactly what you are referring to.

And as for the background noise, I didn't even notice it until just now when i whipped out my headphones. (i didn't check the recording on a quality sound device) But, I'm sure its because of the way i recorded it because I did it differently.

16. i wanted to say 1, but i just knew it was going to be 2....

17. He already answered it in post #5. I was hoping the op would hold off telling us the answer a little later too.

18. finfrocka

finfrocka

Jul 12, 2005
    San Diego
    I didn't want to but plenty of people votes for the wrong one so I figured it was enough to justify answering. I figured most people would vote before reading the thread anyway.

19. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I thought it was the first. It sounded the fattest of the two and it has the mid-fart/burp that I associate with a good P-bass. I thought the second was a Jazz.

20. The second bass is a Rogue Junior bass and the first one is a Fukai Project-P one, I'm sure!