Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you turn the piezo pickups completely off on a MM sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Mar 12, 2003.

1. I am planning on getting a fretted MM sterling in the next 6 months...
    I would like to get the piezo's for even more tonal options, but I was wondering if it is possible to turn them off or completely mute them with a switch or using the added piezo control/knob on the bass.

I'm just curious because if it's a bit too harsh on stage or I'm not feeling it, I'd like to be able to turn them all the way down or 'off', WITHOUT sacrificing tone in other areas or affecting the sound of the other pickups etc...

Any knowledge, details or experience with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Graham

P.S. - My plan is natural body with a maple neck...if that makes a difference to you at all.

2. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    there is a blend knob that allows you to go from 100% p'ups to 100% piezo, or anywhere in between. i wondered the same thing when i purchased my 'ray. the piezos add more of an "acoustic vibe", for lack of a better description, so imo, i don't believe they'll be too "harsh". i blend the piezos in mostly when i play at church, and occasionally in my rock band. ymmv...

jdkh