Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you use a fretless in rock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RJSBASS, Jun 28, 2005.

1. RJSBASS

RJSBASS Guest

Jun 22, 2005
    New York
    I have a fretless bass, can you use it in rock songs?

2. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    depends on how open minded your bandmates are....and how "heavy" your rock is =) take it to a practice and give it a spin!

3. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    my mind seems to vaguely recollect that queen's bassist used a fretless stingray... not too sure. Hey man, any bass can be used in any situation if the player is good enough to make it fit in. :)

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Pink Floyd - Hey You
    Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese (Album,) Pork Soda (Album,) and Animals Should Not Try To Act Like People (Album.)

SO yeah, I think you can. :smug:

5. Yes, there's nothing stopping you from playing the fretless like a fretted bass. Some techniques may not lend themselves to many situations in rock (sliding into notes, vibrato, etc) and there is a loss of high end clanking due to the lack of frets. However try it out, it's an interesting approach and it can give some cool results.

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Listen to Pearl Jam's "Even Flow," which gives an idea of how heavy fretless can get.

7. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Jeff Ament
    Tony Franklin
    Tony Levin
    JAck Bruce (but not in Cream, I think)

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No, because it's not my bass.

9. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Yes

Juan Alderete - The Mars Volta

10. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    lol!

The answer to the question is - yes, if you want to. Check out some of Ross Vallory's stuff with Journey.

A fretless won't suit every single situation, but then again ,what does?

11. Hey Andrew W. I liked your reply so much, it's become my sig. line. Thanks for the laugh!!!

And thank RJSBASS for asking a question that warranted that answer! :bassist:

12. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yes.

13. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    There is nothing beyond your intonation and touch to keep you from playing fretless in a rock setting. If you have decent intonation you can play without too much telltale fretless warble and nobody is the wiser. I've done loads of pounding rock on freltess basses and if I had any problems it has been from being under-rehearsed or over-beer'd :p

I still play some stuff on fretted because I prefer it on some things, or the band/songwriter prefers it.

14. I'm not sure if its on any recordings, but towards the end of his life, John Entwistle played every Who show with a fretless

15. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    zeronyne mentioned Tony Franklin.

I absolutely love his bass work with Jimmy Page in the Firm. He also played fretless with the group Blue Murder.
    Great choice IMHO, well worth checking into.

(edit) 'Rock' is a pretty broad term. John McVie also plays fretless with Fleetwood Mac.

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...don't do it, it's bad...if you use fretless in rock, the volcanos erupt, then the lava will flow across the stage, and will sweep the band into the river....

...very bad...

...very, very, very bad...

:ninja:

(Hell yeah, use it where ever you like! :D )

17. thewhitesheep

thewhitesheep

Dec 22, 2004
    Didnt Tony Levin use a fretless on LTE´s Biaxident? Or was it just the intro...not sure. That song gets heavy at some parts

18. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Yes but only if you have decent stage sound. You have to hear yourself and some other pitched instrument well enough to tell whether you're playing in tune with the rest of the band.

19. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Bill Wyman played a fretless on many Stones recordings, even in the early days. Since they are the definition of "rock" I guess the answer is "Yes".

20. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

A fretless will especially shine at the end of a song when you run up to the mic stand and run the stand up and down against the strings. You don't get that aweful shoppy sound of the frets. It's much more of a gliding sound.