can you use a guitar head for a bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MommysMistakes, May 2, 2005.

1. MommysMistakes

Feb 28, 2005
    i have just received a peavey VTM120 (guitar head) Free because it was broken turned out to just be a fuse anyhow im wondeing if i can use this head for my bass if i put it to a bass cabinet if you know the answe please respond ASAP i wanna sell my Combo to buy a cabinet for it if i can do this
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    This has been kicked about a lot...

Guitar heads are usually less powerful than bass heads. The EQ is probably voiced more for guitar than bass. You won't get bass amp oriented features like compression, limiters, mid scoop buttons or knobs, etc. Being a tube amp, the output transformer would have been designed for an instrument who's lowest note is in the 80 Hz range...low, lows might be missing.

It might sound awesome...lots of our bass heros used guitar amps.

If you go that route...look for an efficient bass cabinet
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Simply put... yes. BillyB got it right, that it'll work, but you'll need to use a BASS CAB that is more efficient to make up for lack of power from the head. Make sure you use bass speakers though, otherwise you're gonna blow the bastids up.
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Why don't you sell the combo AND the head and get a bass stack? Our "bass heros" used guitar amps because there weren't many real bass amps. Now we have tons of great amps to choose from, I can't see what anyone would want to use a guitar amp now.
  5. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    That's a 120 watt tube amp, reputedly built like a tank.
    With a reasonably efficient cab, it should be pretty loud,
    but probably not the cleanest-sounding thing around at volume.

I haven't played their current models, but back in the 80s I always thought Peavey's guitar amps were better-sounding bass amps than their bass amps!

Give it a try. If you don't like it, drop it on ebay and some guitarist will be happy.
  6. +1

Id say thats a good idea :)