1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you use a Line 6 Pod Live for gigs?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Apr 24, 2010.

1. I am resetting my practice setup at home using a small mixer (a Eurorack UB802) to mix my pc and bass, and record my practice sessions.

I was using a Pandora but the issue I have is that the Pandora is really mostly for guitars (even if I have the pX4D), as it sounds very thin and the effects are useless for bass.

Currently I am using my pedal train into a SansAmp BDDI and the BDDI into the mix via the XLR cable. I find this to be acceptable but I am not too much of a lover of the "tubey" sounds.

Maybe this BDDI is toast, who knows?

In anyway, I have start to look at Line6 Pods, and was thinking that maybe the latest digital pedal boards could actually replace my current pedal train.

This way, the sounds I am used to practicing with would be available just the same when I gig.

Also I have started doodling more on the 6-string and I since my current pedals are dedicated for bass, that would not work well with a guitar, unlike a Line 6 board.

Does anybody here use a Line 6 Pod Live for their gigs? I am looking into the X3, currently.

Thanks in advance!

2. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    I've used a Line 6 Bass POD XT Live for quite a while(3 years almost). I am looking at the X3 as an upgrade.....sounds better from what I read PLUS for live use, I can run my vocal in it. Send vocal out down LEFT and bass out down RIGHT. The X3 has both guitar and bass "patches" built-in.

3. Johnny, did you gig with yours?

That's the core of my question. What's the bit rate on this thing?

Thanks?

4. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Surprisingly enough I've gigged with a Bass Pod XT Pro or whatever thing. Had no problems with it. It doesn't respond like the real thing, but it's light years ahead of the Tech 21 stuff.

I wouldn't write off "tube" sounds because of the BDDI. Obviously it's not tube, and personally it doesn't sound like any tube amp I've ever played, at all. Actually I think it sounds horrible. But that's me.

5. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    I used my XT Live in performance settings for years. It was fine for my use, and never had any real issues with it at alla.

6. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I've used mine for about three years now, it takes a bit of time time to really get comfy with, but well worth the effort. I usually use the Acoustic 360 model copied and repeated individually for each of my basses - lets you eq and set output levels for each bass, very handy if you switch basses. Great pedal!

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    You can use a line 6 bass pod live. a friend of mine uses a line 6 bass xt with an fbv pedal live at one point. he had some interesting sound with with. but than he later uses a boss me-50b. I have a line 6 bass floor pod. I haven't use it live yet, but if I do, I'll let you know how it sounds live.

8. spywebco

spywebco Supporting Member

May 14, 2009
    North Ft. Myers, FL
    I have used my bass pod xt in live performances for the last 7 years or so. I do not play without it. I use it almost exclusively as a pre-amp though. It took me a long time to decide what I wanted and to dial it in. I used it a lot with no-amp modeling, just for effects when I was playing in a 3 piece, and now that I am doing a big band motown TOP thing, I use the tube pre-amp setting a lot. I have used it alone for recording, and I use it to practice through head phones as well. I have custom programmed and changed most of the settings that it has. I have used it absolutely every day for almost 8 years. You are more than welcome to PM me if you have questions about it, or need a little help getting started.

Not to say that every minute has been a love relationship, but I like having a lot of stuff at my disposal from one tool. Overall, I have been very happy with it, and I am still learning all the stuff it will do.

9. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Yes. Left side, BOSE PAS setup.

NatOilStage02.

Yes. It's to the right of my bass setup(outdoors with FOH system, big stage).
    NOTE: with this setup the SansAmp is used for DI to the PA and the fine-tune the EQ of the SWR/ACME combo.

OutdoorRigFXd.

Primarily have 9 "patches" that use the models of:
    SVT for about 7 settings from clean to on edge to clank
    Acoustic 360: 1 setting traditional "how everyone thinks a bass sounds"
    Fender Amp 1 setting (forget the model) with major distortion added

Beats a chain of pedals and/or huge amps IMO. All three models used here are amps I used for more than a decade. The factory Line 6 patches were unimpressive but when I set the controls like I set the real amps....BINGO!!! The sound was there or extremely close. The X3 has the advantage being stereo, guitar patches/amp/cabs included, built-in XLR/DI, and vocals capable.

At home practice is Line 6 headphone output OR run the Line 6 straight into the QSC2402 and into one ACME B2. The ACME's will tell you EXACTLY what you sound like especially at close range in a small room.

Bit Rate
    Not sure where you're going with this, either sound quality or processing delay?
    For sound quality, this info was lifted from Line 6's site(about 2/3's down the page):

"If, however, the reviewer is referring to digital compression (like a low bit rate MP3) then the 24bit processing performed by the PODxt Live is better than CD quality and on par with other products on the market."
    http://it.line6.com/supportarchive/thread/2499

If you are asking about "processing delay", then NO...I don't detect any.

10. smoothdave

smoothdave

May 24, 2009
    I've been using a Pod XT with the bass expansion pack for about 3-4 years now, and I really like it. I'm currently running it into a keyboard amp when I play live, but at some point I'm going to move to a power amp and cabinet, and I'll use the Pod XT with that.

I've done some side by side tests with real amps, and the emulation is excellent.

I have a Fender Deluxe Reverb guitar amp that the Pod XT models, and while side by side I would say that the real deal is noticeably fuller and richer, if you didn't have them side by side, you might not be able to tell unless you had a pretty good ear for guitar equipment.

I also tested it against an Eden bass amp and 2x10 cab since it also emulates one of those, and again, it's good. Once again, the real deal is better, but a $1000 worth of hardware had blasted well better outperform $300 worth of emulation.

I'm happy with it. If I lost it, I'd move up to the X3.

11. I've been using the PODxt Live for guitar playing for over 3 years now, just shooting direct into the church Console. It sounds great. I moved to different church and now are playing Bass guitar, so I upgraded the model pack to include the Bass models. For Bass it sounds good too (Still shooting straight to the church console). For monitor I use earphones (will be using Westone UM2 soon). To get that low tone punch I still recommend to get an amp. Unless your sound person is really good and EQ you right in the PA. I think for it's versatility and great sound, you cannot beat it. Is not the real thing?? Yes, but 90% of the audience do not know the difference and the other 10% (other musicians) have always given us very good feedback on our sound. Hope this helps, I play both guitar and bass (one in each hand, kidding) so for that the PODxt live is a great tool and saves me $$.

12. 2FC50433-4728-48A6-A9AB-F4D9BCE4044B. I know this is an old thread, but i’ve had my Pod X3 Live for about 6 or 7 years now, and have only recently started to learn how to actually use it.

The past week I had vacation, and used a good chunk of that time to figure it out and dial in a couple of tones that I like. (With a few effects programmed in for specific songs.)

Tonight I played my first gig with it.
    It worked great. My band mates were complimentary, and there were no moments of weird noises from stepping on a wrong switch or anything.

I’m looking forward to tomorrow night’s gig to build my comfort level up.

I did run a microthumpinator into it. I’ve come to rely on that pedal a lot.

Here’s a cell phone picture I snapped of my rig tonight with the Pod X3 Live. I’m running it into the effect return of my Peavey MiniMax, and using the DI from the MiniMax to the board.

I was a bit disappointed with the tuner. My band tunes down half a step, and the tuner in the X3 Live couldn’t read the A#\Bb, so I ended up muting the MiniMax and switching the cable from the effects return to the front input so I could use it’s tuner, and then switch it back again.

BrentSimons likes this.
  13. For playing live, I use a Line 6 POD HD500X (with the HD bass pack) along with a Tech 21 DP-3X through a powered FRFR. Sounds great to me!

BrentSimons likes this.
  14. My Bass Pod Xt is still going strong! :)

15. Anyone have any tips on the Pod X3 Live tuner? I'd really rather not have to switch the cable around each time I need to tune. I'll check the owner's manual, but it seems strange that the tuner on the Pod X3 Live wouldn't read anything lower than a B.

16. When I encounter tuners that are confused by low notes, I usually find that tuning the 12th fret harmonic on problematic strings is accurate enough.

Esquillama likes this.
  17. That’s a great tip!
    I should’ve thought of that.
    I’ll give that a try.
    Thanks.

18. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Another HD500x user here. Very versatile, sounds great, and can be bought for a reasonable price with people selling them due to upgrading to Helix.

Get the HD Bass pack, it's well worth it.

Previously used a Zoom B3, which was sold and replaced with a PODxt Live. When I got the HD500x, I compared it with the PODxt Live, and the HD sounded so much better (especially the effects). The PODxt was moved on. Been using the HD for a couple of years now, still very happy with it.

Using it in conjunction with an Ashdown combo, but bypassing the preamp by plugging it in to the Effects Return.

BrentSimons likes this.