1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you use a music man pickup in a non music man bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dr. Turkey, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Dr. Turkey

Dr. Turkey

May 22, 2014
    I have this bass and I like it a lot but I'll like it more when I put a willpower in the neck wired in series but the bridge pup still sounds too wimpy no matter what I do with it. I was considering getting the bridge routed and dropping a Musicman ceramic humbucker in there (unless you guys have a different suggestion) (also wired in series). Would it work without all those extra musicman controls? I know I won't get the same sound without the preamp or "sweet spot" but I'm hoping the hotter pickup helps with the sound I want.

2. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    That pickup location is realllllly close to the bridge. You're never going to get any beef out of that pickup soloed regardless of which pickup is there. My guess is that much like the bridge pickup on the G&L SB-2, its purpose is just to add tonal flavor to the other pickup.

You've got tons of space between the two stock pickups.... if you want to go about adding another pickup I'd consider adding something there. Maybe a Will Power Middle like on Billy Sheehan's bass.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    DannyBob likes this.
  3. Dr. Turkey

Dr. Turkey

May 22, 2014
    Yeah I know I'm going to be limited unfortunately. It's weird I was able to get some good sounds from a Gibson model but I just solo the neck pickup on the epiphone because the bridge pickup makes the mix sound worse to me. I'd like to avoid adding a third pickup though because that's just going to add a lot more work

4. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    String spacing is different on the pickup and on that bass. Pickup will work but lookwise it will not match.

5. IWieldTheSpade

IWieldTheSpade

Mar 15, 2010
    If this is an issue, you can always use something like a bartolini with no exposed pole pieces, or another type of dual coil that has a blade instead

6. You could do it yes, but I don't recommend it. It is way too close to the bridge and far from the sweet spot.

7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I wouldn't do it just from the fact that you'll completely kill the resale of the bass if you decide that it doesn't work for you. You're better off buying a Sterling Ray4 or Ray34 depending on your budget if a U.S. one is too pricey for you.

8. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Sure but SD MM pickup was the one linked.

9. Dr. Turkey

Dr. Turkey

May 22, 2014
    Is there something else you'd recommend? I'm going to be discussing options with my luthier as well to see what he can do.

Yep. I'm not too worried about the pole spacing if it's only an aesthetics issue. It is right?

10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Can you use a music man pickup in a non music man bass?
    If you can get one... sure you can use it in any bass you like.

12. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Pull out that Will Power and put in a Curtis Novak Fatbucker and get a Novak bridge pup while you are at it.
    http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/misc_bass.shtml

A TV Jones will go into the bridge route with very little routing too. They give it a REAL bite.

13. Dr. Turkey

Dr. Turkey

May 22, 2014
    Filtertrons are awesome, but I already have another bass that'll be getting 2 in it so I want to try something different here.

I'm honestly toying with the idea of putting another sidewinder in there. What do you guys think that would sound like?

14. Dr. Turkey

Dr. Turkey

May 22, 2014
    Talked to the luthiers that help me with my stuff and agree with the music man pickup. They advised against routing a new spot and say I should just expand the existing spot. I also asked about the extra electronics and they say it's doable so I'll be thinking about this more. Thanks for the opinions in here everybody