Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you use a transport case while gigging?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Would there be any benifit/problem with getting one of those flight cases to protect a 2x10 combo, and placing the combo on top of the case during a gig? I know people sware by the gamma pad, which isolates the cab from the floor. Would getting the 2x10 2 foot off the floor sacrifice low end? I am sure you wont be feeling it as much anymore, but is that a good thing? Just wondering because I want to get a case to protect it, and I thought about how I have seen some guitarists do the same thing. Of course, that was a regular guitar.
    There is also an option to leave the lid off and just use the flat board that is on casters (the bottom of the case). It would probably be more like the gamma pad. Here is a picture.
    Thanks,
    Wes

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, I've done this. Yes you will lose some low end, it's up to you to decide if that sounds good or not. Even the board w/ casters will lose some low end because you're no longer coupled w/ the floor. Personally, I like having the speaker closer to my ears more than I like the low end boost from putting it on the floor.

3. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks Jondog,
    That is what I figured. The soundman probably thanks your for using one...
    I guess I will order it. I am going to have $160 in it shipped, but it will definatley help keep my cab in top shape. I don't know how much it will add to the total weight of my rig, or if it will make lugging it down the stairs impossible. I can just now carry the cab though a doorway while using the side handles. The width might require me to start getting help going down stairs, but all other level ground transport will become easier with the casters.
    Thanks,
    Wes