Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you use an E-bow on a Fender VI or a MM Silhouette Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Jan 16, 2006.

1. I'm looking for something different than a bass to use in my band. I was thinking a keyboard, then a cello and now I'm considering a baritone guitar. I'm not looking to start a fight about whether such a thing is a "bass" or not, frankly, I don't give a crap. But what I would like to know is if you can use an e-bow on it or are the strings too thick? Also, any other techniques you can do on it that you can't do on a regular bass?

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    They make bass e-bow's too ya know, but the only difference is the spacing on the guides. The only requisite for an ebow is strings that react to magnets, which is the same requirement of your standard pickups. :D
    I have a guitar e-bow that I use on my bass now and then. You just have to prop it on one string instead of two, and at a slight angle.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    They do NOT make a bass eBow--there is no such thing. Unless there is something being released at NAMM next week, they currently make the eBow plus, and that's it. That's the silver/gray model with the blue light, and two different settings. I've got two different versions (black with red LED, and the Plus), and both work just fine on the heaviest of bass strings. It takes a little more practice, but it works fine.

There shouldn't be any problem with using an eBow on a baritone, or bass 6 style instrument.

4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    As someone who owns/plays several BassVI/6-string basses, I have used an ebow with them many times. Sounds great but tough to control till you get the hang of it. I found playing near the bridge helps, less string vibration. I've never heard of a bass ebow either but he was quite adamant about it so it must be true. :)

5. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    That's... really weird.
    I swear that I saw them for sale a few years ago!

Anyway, ebow's site has a faq which includes a part about using it on a bass.
    http://www.ebow.com/ebow/faq.htm