Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can you use headphones without disabling comp. speakers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bill Brasky, Aug 28, 2003.

1. I think this probably the same for most computers, but when I plug in the headphones in the back of my computer it turns off the sound to the speakers. Does anyone know how to set it up so the speakers stay on when headphones are plugged in? I tried searching around the net and looked through the control panel and sound settings on my computer but couldn't find anything to do it, but I know there has to be a way. I'm using an HP with windows XP by the way, if that matters.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Get a "Y" adapter. About 2 bucks at Radio Shack.

Plug the headphones into one output and the speakers in another.

Bingo.

3. I already have two outputs on the back of the computer, one is specifically for the speakers and the other is for headphones. I think it would probably be a simple thing to switch it so the speakers aren't disabled when the headphones are in, but I just don't know where to do it. The Y plug adapter thing is a good idea too, but if I could, I would rather use the two separate inputs that are already there.