Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you use just a power amp with a cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ras1983, Jul 19, 2005.

1. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Sorry guys, the words power amp practically listed every thread.

I just want to know if it is feasable to use a power amp (just power, no eq) to power a cab, and use a preamp to get the eq happening.

it seems like a cost effective way of getting decent power.

as always, thankyou.

2. Yes you can.

You need to make sure that the pre is designed for instrument use, and you need to make sure that the pre out is the right signal level for the power in e.g both are 0dB or +4dB or whatever.

3. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    thanks. is this method widely accepted, or is it recommended to use a head/cab setup?

4. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    when you say "use a preamp to get the eq happening" are you talking about a rack bass preamp or the onboard preamp on an active bass? a rack bass preamp would work fine, lots of people use that setup. an onboard preamp however wouldn't send a signal hot enough to drive a power amp. (and even if it did, it would drain the battery REALLY quick.)

5. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    sorry, should have made it clearer, rack based.

6. brohar

brohar

Dec 29, 2004
    Cincinnati
    I just bought a Sansamp rbi, Samson SX1200 and have an Avatar 2x12 on the way. So far I am liking what im hearing with this setup.

7. I think most would say its the best setup. Certainly the most flexible.

Randy

8. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    You can go with an active bass/ power amp setup. But you wont get the same amount of power as you would when using a preamp.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Yes. Most preamps have EQ, and most power amps don't.

10. This is a very widely accepted and used method here at TB. I do it, I love it, I can switch out separate components without buying a whole new head.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i use the sabddi pedal as my preamp with power amp and cab. it works well.

12. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    thanks guys.

13. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    same here.....at least until i get my RBI.

i would have continued to use the sabddi but i got tired of hauling it around seperate when i can have something that mounts directly in my rack..