1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you use one speaker cabinet bass/guitar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ebick, Oct 14, 2013.

1. ebick

ebick

Sep 3, 2013
    If I go split head/cabinet, can I get a bass head and a guitar head, and use the same speaker cabinet (not at the same time obviously). Basically asking, is there a difference in the speakers that each uses.

Thanks

2. Yes there is a very big difference between them.

IMHO it is easier to buy one amp, and two different cabs.

3. ebick

ebick

Sep 3, 2013
    so, you are saying that the heads are more similar than the speakers? I always heard that the guitar heads were "usuable" for bass, but you lose low-end.

4. Some guitar heads work for bass. My buddy's orange tiny terror through my hartke hydrive 410 is just bliss to me. I can't turn the gain up to high, but if i keep it right where the tubes are starting to break up its amazing

5. Depends on the amp. IMHO the Peavy VB-2 is one of the best "inbetweeners" out there. Killer bass amp, amazing platform to build on for guitar.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, the biggest difference is in the speaker cabs. But best case is separate rigs altogether.

7. I think there would be a LOT of bassists and gui****os out there that would be very happy with a 100-200 watt tube bass amp and a 215 loaded with 15PR400's.

Sayin'

8. Is this for practice or performance?

Practice: use a bass cab. Your guitar will have a bit more low end, and you probably won't be able to drive the speakers as well, but it won't hurt anything. DO NOT use a guitar cab for bass though! They were not designed for that much low end and you could damage them. Just make sure that the amps and cab have proper Ohm ratings.

Performance: get a bass specific and a guitar specific cab.

9. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    IMO the EVM-15L works nicely for a 4-string bass and guitar.

10. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Has anyone used the EVM-12L for bass?

11. 1960jbass

1960jbass

Mar 28, 2013
    Berwick, PA
    I did. Had it in a Flite Sound cab and used it as an extension for a GK MB200. It has since been replaced by an Eminence 3012. I find you get a LOT more bottom end with the Eminence plus it handles twice the power of the EV. So it will work with bass but I would recommend the Eminence over the EV.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    There are a few models of speaker that can perform well at both but they are not many. Everything is calculated compromises. Something that really excells at one won't be very good at the other.

13. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Walk over to the FOH/PA section of the store and try out some full range cabinets.
    They'll do Guitar, Bass, Keyboard, Drums, Vocals ...
    Add a good preamp for each instrument, and a transparent power amp and you're set.

14. +1
    My friend ran his brother's bass through his own guitar cab and tore it apart. No, the result isn't always as violent as it was in that situation, but it really isn't worth the risk, IMO.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Overdriven guitar + tweeters = yuck.

Unless you're going with a full-on modeling system where all the voice is in the models and you just want clean reproduction after that.

16. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    Geezer Butler.

Designed for guitar, with cutoff at about 80 Hz, the 12L can sound kind of thin with a bass, or you might say it's focused on harmonic content, rather than low fundamentals, depending on how you look at it.

I've tried some 12" high power guitar speakers on occasion and I've always found them to sound "punchy"... just what you'd expect from something with good midbass but without a lot of LF extension.

17. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    PS - I'm one of those guys who thinks that guitar tone SUCKS through a PA. Guitar speakers are the other half of your instrument.

18. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    Fender bassman is popular with guitarists.
    I,ve never had any problems banging a guitar through bass gear ,in fact i quiet prefer the tone myself,use a multi effects with amp/speaker sims-job done.

19. I play both my bass guitar, and my saprano (stnd. elec. Tele) guitar through my Ampeg PF-350 amp, and my fEARful 15/6 cab. Sounds fine, to me. The Tele goes through a POD X3 Live for effects. I need different EQ settings with the two instruments, but both sound good, and loud.

20. +1 and an absolutely! The requirements for guitar and bass differ significantly. A 15W tube amp and a single 12 can get really loud. Just get a combo for the guitar. Anything else will compromise both instruments.