1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you wire an OBP-3 as a 2-band pre?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JPJ, Jul 29, 2017.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Wasn't able to find an answer to this in a search. I recently acquired a bass with an OPB and stacked mid/treble wiring. I'd like to take the bass back to stock, which would have come with a 2-band preamp. Without changing the OBP-3, is there a wiring config (or is it even possible) to wire is as a Vol/Blend/Bass/Treble set-up?

2. All you have to do is wire two resistors in place of the mid pot.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Well.....that sounds easy enough. Thanks!

4. The reason you need two resistors is to balance it to zero, no boost & no cut.
    If you want it to be always cut to the max or boosted to the max on the mid frequency, just put in one resistor.

5. JPJ
    Why not leave the MID Control in the CENTER DENT position.......There should be no BOOST OR CUT
    in the MIDS......

6. Because he wants a 2 band preamp. There probably isn't room for another pot.

7. Maybe I missed something in JPJ original post. He said the bass has a OBP-3 which I'm assuming it's a 3 band EQ. JPJ said the bass has a stacked mid/treble wiring. Don't use the MID control. ??

8. Not using the mid control is precisely what the OP is trying to do.