Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowend99, Dec 31, 2001.

1. lowend99

Dec 31, 2001
    Baltimore, Md
    I am running a Ampeg 1100W head with a 4X10 and a 1X15 which has all the power I need, but when I am in a bar, I can't hear my bass at all. I have tried turning it and even standing away from it, but can't hear it at all when everybody is playing. I am told by the people it is very loud, but I can't hear it. I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, hard to diagnose over the net, but boosting the mids will help you to hear yourself.
  3. Ok here's what i'll do for you. You're a special winner, i'm gonna go put this in AMPS! lol

What about trying a compresor or a bass boost effect? Toy with your EQ's until it really punches. I am running a 100watt amp head into a 4x10 and its loud. Damn loud. i run it at half volume to fill a pub when doing a heavy metal gig. Plus why not D.I into the mixing desk so you come through the PA as well?

4. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    ....sounds like you are experiencing some frequency cancellation my friend.....

Try moving your rig around the room abit.

It's best to be against a wall, or corner (you would then probably experience too much bass...)

I played a bar gig once......where the band had to set up sort of in the middle of the room......and no matter how much I turned up, or tweaked the EQ, I couldn't get a sound, or volume that I was accustomed to hearing. For that gig I just dealt with it.

Try moving the rig......doesn't co$t ya anything...

5. I play a bar gig every week, and have a similar issue. Evidently the bass doesn't bloom until it is a wave length away from the stage (30+ feet). I have a bud in the audience monitor me and give a high sign for Up or Down as required. The sound is radically different from the audience position than it is on stage. The PA is voice-only at this venue.

25 ~ 100 Hz Power, Depth, Boom
    125 ~ 500 Hz Presence, Definition, Honk, Punch
    630 ~ 2500 Hz Growl, Edge, Harshness
    3150 ~ 20000 Hz Brilliance, Sparkle, Noise

This is lifted from a 1994 Bass Player magazine article on the frequencies involved for bass reproduction. Note the typical Smiley Face EQ will give you thud and finger nail click, and kill the presence and growl which are required to cut through. YMMV depending on your rig.

This Thursday, I'm going to try something new: EQ'ing my rig to the venue. I scored a Rane analyzer off eBay and the replacement mic just arrived, so I will adjust my rig to Flat from the audience position. The mic has a 40 foot cable that connects it to the analyzer/pink noise generator, so I can place the mic at the audience position. The LEDs on the analyzer correspond with the 1/3 octave sliders on my EQ to make balancing quick and easy. It will be very interesting to see how it all works out.