Canada beats USA in baseball

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DannyB, Mar 8, 2006.

1. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    World Baseball Classic

Canada 8
    USA 6

Wow. Who had that one?
  2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I've been wondering why the Pirates have been having an amazing preseason. The opposing teams do not have their star players!

I couldn't find any box scores on Yahoo sports, is Jason Bay on the Canadian team?
  3. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Woot Canada! Kicked your ass. :smug:
  4. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Damn straight. Oh, Canada!

5. though I had no idea that this whole shinding went on but...

yea Canada is just better sometimes, most times
  6. I don't wanna sound like a sore loser, but 9 times out of 10 I don't think the US would have lost that game. Usually D-train is on the ball (no pun intended).

"The U.S. must now beat South Africa or have Mexico lose one of its remaining games to stay alive."

I love how ESPN tries to build suspense. South Africa has never had a player above AA ball....won't exactly be a close one.
  7. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    i wonder how many people said that about the Canada-U.S match? :smug:
  8. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.

9. The difference is that Canada actually has some quality MLB players (Matt Stairs, Jason Bay immediately come to mind) and I can't name a single South African player.
  10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Baseball :confused:

No wonder we won. The Americans probably forgot to bring snowshoes ;)
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Oh yeah?? If there was a World Cup for American Football, Canada wouldn't even have a team worthy of taking the field against the USA! So there!

As a matter of fact, same goes for hoops. Outside of Steve Nash that is.

12. Since we don't play American Football, you're probably right.
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You guys try with a twisted version of it. Are the Canadian college games more like the CFL, or do they have more NFL rules?

14. AGAIN, with the TIME ZONE THING!
  15. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

CFL, the field is a total of 150 yards by 65 yards, having two 20-yard end zones, for 110 yards of playing field.

CFL, the highest scoring team after two ten-minute overtime periods wins, these twenty minute overtimes continuing until a winner is found. In other words, play continues until a winner emerges, but in very short periods, to keep from going into excessive amounts of overtime.

One immediate difference between the other leagues and the CFL is that in Canadian football there are only 3 downs, compared with 4 for the others. The object is still the same; 10 yards must be gained within the downs allotted.

Another area of difference is in team sizes. While college and NFL ball teams have 11 players, the CFL has a twelfth player. Instead of a tight end, the CFL employs two "Slot Backs". In defense, Canadian teams have an additional linebacker or defensive back, depending upon the play. This is in keeping with Canadian football's larger field size, where more players are needed to cover the extra space. Arena football, on the other hand, has only eight players. This is possible due to the smaller size of the Arena football field.

A CFL offensive back field has unlimited motion. Only the down linemen can not move. The NFL only allows one player to move parallel to the line of scrimage. This extra motion allows for a larger play set.

most importantly: there must be 2 teams with the same name in the league. Roughriders!
  16. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    .....and the Grey Cup is usually played during a blizzard.
  17. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I direct your attention to the NFL Global Junior Championship. Not only did Canada win (again) this year but the did it without surrendering a single point. It's a pretty compressed format and they're all highschool players but I still like the outcome.

18. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Basketball was invented in Canada.
  19. i watched that and i was real pissed becauser the US put in ALL FREAKIN LIETER to pitch. Come on now al leiter? what is al leiter even doing on the US baseball team?