Canada Rocks, Eh? The Official Empress Club

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Adamixoye, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    I’m anxiously awaiting the delivery of a Darkglass Vintage Microtubes pedal. Otherwise, my pedal chain shows an obvious Empress Effects slant.

I was thinking of chaining things like this, once I receive my DGVM. Unconventional, but what do you think?
    -Bass (G&L L2500) -> DG Vintage Microtubes -> Empress Multidrive -> Empress Nebulus -> Empress EchoSystem -> Empress Bass Compressor -> JamMan looper -> MXR M81 DI/Preamp ->...

2. Loring

Loring Supporting Member

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Personally- depending on whether your drives are always on or if it’s an either / or situation with the compressor, I may move the comp to #1 (in either or - not if you have both on).

would likely move the looper earlier in the chain - like before the delay.

Raman likes this.
  3. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Over the years, I've almost always followed the conventional chain order, with the comp right at the beginning. Then, at the other end, a preamp/OD/DI unit. Lately, I got the M81 preamp/DI and decided to acquire the DG Vintage Microtubes to play the OD part.
    So my idea is to leave all the middle stuff in its present order (Multidrive -> Nebulus-> Echo System), but try and switch the comp and OD. My thinking is, what if putting the comp at the beginning limits what I feed in the Multidrive/Nebulus/EchoSystem, and maybe instead try to feed them the full harmonics spectrum, even enhancing it with the DG, and then reign it all in at the end of the chain with the comp?

I'll have to test it out of course, as soon as I get the DG. But wondering if that makes sense...

4. Loring

Loring Supporting Member

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    yeah I get the comp / drive part if you are running a drive and the comp. (I do this also but I can move the comp position on a patch by patch basis with my es-8) I’d hit the drive first. I would put the comp before delay though to allow tails to fade properly otherwise you will end up boosting the tails.

the cool thing though is to experiment experiment experiment. You never know what tones you can get without playing around (a lot)!

Raman likes this.
  5. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Good point about the tails. Noted!

6. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Hey, Multidrive users: What is your internal A/B configuration?

Mine is A: Overdrive and B: Fuzz + Distortion

Loring likes this.
  7. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Talking about Empress effects...

I came across a problem with one of my pedals recently. Maybe others have encountered it too.

After cleaning a couple of pots on my Multidrive that had become scratchy, one of them came loose. I don't mean the cap with the tiny screw, nor the nut: I mean the actual rotating shaft, which became loose in its socket. It didn't wobble or anything, but now I could flick it freely from one end to the other. (On all Empress pedals, there's a nice resistance that helps precise tuning when you rotate the pots.) I tried pushing down on the cap and tightening it against the base, and it worked somewhat. But now it grinded metal against metal. Not nice at all.

I went over to the Empress customer service page and saw that others had encountered this same problem. The suggestion given there was to try fitting an elastic band under the cap of the pot... I wrote on the page that I was having the same issue and was looking for a fix. Almost immediately, I received an answer from Empress asking me for more details on the problem and for a video, which I sent. They ended up giving me a repair ticket and asking that I send them the unit for re-soldering. Note that they never asked for a purchase date or even a proof of purchase. Great customer service!

I offered to try out the elastic band solution before going to the trouble of shipping it back for repair. And lo and behold! it worked out great. If done correctly, this little repair gives back exactly the right amount of resistance when rotating a pot's shaft.

Empress%20repair.jpg

just_chill and Loring like this.
  8. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Sorry to be talking about this again, but I'm reconsidering my effects chain and trying different things out these days.

So to keep it Empress related: In what order would you chain an Empress Bass Comp, a Multidrive, A Nebulus and an Echo System?

Bonus question: Would you turn on True Bypass or Buffered Bypass in the Nebulus and Echo System?

Extra bonus question: Where would you throw in a DarkGlass Vintage Microtubes?

9. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    In the order you have them listed, but test flipping the Comp and Drive.

Only necessary to turn on the buffer in one of them in a chain that short.

Raman and Loring like this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021