1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

canada sale forum

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by Yvon, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    SInce at least 50/60% of the TBer won't ship to canada, why not have a Canada forum on talkbass?

2. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Because us guys in the lower regions would see a Dingwall or F bass and want you to ship it south?:bag:

3. Not a bad idea. I often thought it would be helpful if sellers not willing to ship outside the US put "<thing for sale> - US only" in the title. And sellers in Canada put "<thing for sale> - Canada" in the post title.

4. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    It's also a good idea.

5. bass12

bass12 Have you seen my tonsils lately? Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Good idea - I've been trying to sell a custom Pierre Laporte six for a while but no one south of the border (or in most of Canada for that matter) has heard of him!

6. I've only been rejected a few times - most times I offer to add an extra $5 for shipping and it works out. I've mostly bought pedals though.

I'd still like a Canadian section. There's really no decent online used gear forum for Canada, that I know of.

The ones I know of:
    http://www.guitarscanada.com/sale-trade-wanted-subscription-required/ (guitars mostly, not enough members to warrant the needed subscription service)

http://media.locals.ca/localsconf/viewforum.php?f=5 (mostly Atlantic Canada)

And of course Kijiji http://kijiji.searchtempest.com/

7. desertsolace

desertsolace

Feb 10, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB
    +1 OP

8. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Agreed CFS forum would be very useful,
    eg; i sold some items to the OP awhile back
    that i was able to offer at a better price point
    due to low cost shipping..

+1000 to CFS classifieds..

9. If you talk to most usa sellers they dont mind, I have no problem shipping to canada but on average to ship a body is the CONUS is 25$ and to canada it is always more like 35$, at least for me. So in cases like that I appreciate a few bucks more , nothing outrageous for smaller items I pretty much charge the same price.

I guess it depends on who you deal with

10. Joospocks

Joospocks

Jul 1, 2010
    If there was a separate Canada board, it would just be one more board for me to browse. I haven't found that many people seem to have a problem with shipping north of the border, especially if you're willing to compensate them for the increased shipping costs.

11. CH Design

CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    + I've bought and sold a lot over the border. I find that most of the time the unwillingness comes from people who have never shipped/sold across the border. If you know enough about the process and are able to explain it, most of the TB'ers I have dealt with change their minds.

A forum or a sticky that helps explain international shipping/buying might be more helpful to a wider audience, not just for Canadians.

12. 2ndBassGuitar

2ndBassGuitar Commercial User

Jan 17, 2008
    Qualicum Beach, BC
    Dealer for Phil Jones Bass, Lakland, Maruszczyk and Grosmann basses
    Or you could just get a US shipping address like some of us already have. I have just a little mom and pop shipper/receiver just across the border. They then have a trucking firm bring the shipments in bond to Victoria for me. Very sweet arrangement. All I had to do was to contact the chamber of commerce in Blaine, which is just across the border, and they put me in touch with my receiver. I do my own paperwork, eliminating any brokerage fees.

13. how much extra does that step add to the cost....i find that by the time shipping,taxes,packing,insurance etc is factored in, that us prices are just about the same as here... availability is the real advantage of us purchases....

14. 2ndBassGuitar

Jan 17, 2008
    Qualicum Beach, BC
    Next time you are looking for a used music man bass or a new fender, send me an e-mail.

15. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Agreed. I used to say no until a guy explained it to me. After that I had no problems. Us USA guys are lazy and scared. :bag:

16. 2ndBassGuitar

Jan 17, 2008
    Qualicum Beach, BC
    But we still love you like brothers. Have you forgiven us for burning the White House in 1812 yet?

17. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Haha. Can the US forgive anyone? :atoz:

18. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    I am going to go ahead and resurrect this thread. I really think we need a Canadian Sale forum.

1. Canadian For Sale threads are divided between "For Sale" and "International" Forum which makes us impossible to spot them

2. Although we can search for "Location," half of us don't bother putting Canada. "GTA, Toronto, (Toronto, ON), T.O., (Toronto, Ontario)..." that's a lot of variations for Toronto alone and none of them include "Canada"

3. $$ - I want to purchase a bass at $1,000 USD. PayPal says the conversation is $1,050 CAD (Music stores in Canada are matching their prices with US prices since the USD and CAD are on par). Shipping to Canada, another $100. Border taxes, 13% in Ontario, therefore $130. PayPal fee, $50. That comes up to $1,330 CAD without brokerage fee, which pretty much kills any deal.

Therefore, I would like to see a Canadian Sale forum... maybe just a sub-forum in the American FS forum?

19. 2ndBassGuitar

Jan 17, 2008
    Qualicum Beach, BC
    X2

20. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    I have made some major $$$ purchases on talkbass and would also like to see a Canada for sale forum. :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021