Canadian Amp Broken By English Power - In Need Of Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zyb, Mar 20, 2017.

1. zyb

zyb

Mar 20, 2017
    Hello,
    I brought a 40w fender rumble bass amp back from montreal to the uk. I was playing with some friends and a friend of mine didnt realise it was foreign power so put and english kettle lead in the back. And as you can expect, no more amp. Does anyone know what needs to be done to fix this, or if sort of beyond that.

2. If you're lucky you just blew a fuse. If you are not lucky you get to buy a new amp.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  3. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I agree. Given the cost of a new Rumble 40W, anything more than a fuse will put you in the red on a repair. Perhaps your friend could chip in?

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Before you spend money on transporting an amp to a country with a different voltage standard you should ensure that the amp will be compatible. If your fuse is OK then sadly it’s tech time.

BTW Welcome to the ranks of Talk Bass. :)

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    English power is a mere shadow of it's colonial self. Rise up and take your freedom.:)

two fingers likes this.
  6. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    The converse dear chap! as has been adequately proven, British power is capable of instantly destroying those devices configured for new world colonial use.:)X
    Regards Fairfax God save King George.

NoiseNinja and chadds like this.
  7. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I thought British power used to be double US power, but now it's only about 25% more.

8. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Tongue in cheek? UK voltage is 230V, 50 Hz.

9. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I saw British Power back when they were still playing small venues, before they achieved raging success.

10. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Oh, I was talking about purchasing power. That's altogether different.

(I'm 50% British in case someone gets ruffled)

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

It was always 240V 50Hz when I lived there! :D

12. As a thoroughly British Bass Player (and electronics engineer!) I would suspect that you have blown one (or both) voltage regulators on the main Power supply.
    The only difference in Amps being sold around the world is the transformer, as it has to accomodate different supply voltages to give the same output voltage to the rest of the electronics.
    As the uk voltage (240) is greater than the canadian voltage (120), you will have exceeded the Voltage regulators maximum supply voltage and fried them. Parts LM7815 and LM7915s (15V version) I think (looking at a Rumble 85W pdf..)

I suspect its not a spurious fuse blown, as, if the voltage was doubled, the current would be halved (and its current that blows a fuse, not voltage).
    Although after blowing the regulators, it probably blew the fuse as a consequence, but not the root cause..

two fingers likes this.
  13. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Is there a fuse in the plug that you can check?

14. last I checked 240 volts across a circuit puts twice as much current through it as 120V.

15. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Nothing's ever simple--I read online that UK voltage historically was 240V +/-6% but is now "declared" to be 230V +10% to -6%. Whatever that means!

[Third paragraph on this page: Environmental Technology Centre | Voltage Optimisation]

16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I’ll measure it on my trip home hopefully next month. :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  17. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I heard British Power is opening for Fried Canadian at Coachella this year

18. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Let's see, Y-fronts, trousers, volt meter, ...

19. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I thought you reconfigured your power net when you left EU.

I mean I didn't think you wanted to be dictated by EU standards, then yet as it turns out the very network that supply you with power are.

Now that is what I call irony! :p

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  20. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Nah! My brothers have all that! :)