Canadian bacon was a kick ass movie!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kserg, Mar 31, 2004.

1. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

But canadian bacon was pretty funny.
  3. "No evidence was presented that the alleged infringers either distributed or authorized the reproduction of sound recordings," von Finckenstein wrote in his 28-page ruling. "They merely placed personal copies into their shared directories which were accessible by other computer users via a P2P service."

Well doesn't "plac[ing] personal copies into their shared directories which were accessible by other computer users via a P2P service" imply the users authorized the reproduction of the files? Or that they intended them to be distributed, or at least knew that they would be as a result of their actions? I'm missing the court's logic on this argument. Let's say I suspend a grand piano over a crowded sidewalk using a piece of rotting hemp, and the rope breaks. The piano falls and kills someone. Would they hold me blameless? I mean, I didn't actually cut the rope....

4. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

hehehe i nailed it! two messages in one, whaaaaa:p
    yes... i also ment it... canadian bacon was cool:p John candy was awsome:] so was that lady from cheers (i spent last night watching mash and cheers... what a night)
  5. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Well first... when you were lowering piano... did u put sign out and ettempted to stop people from entering the zone... if yes... you did put up sign and let every1 know and blocked off the area of laoding and person still went in and got crashed... no i dont think you are responsable. if you didnt then you are.. its same with hitting someone in a car... accedent.. if u did everything u can to avoid it then ur ok if not you are busted...

With music... i dont know if this is right but say you left one of your ports open on pc so anyone can get in and take whatever they want or rm whatever they want... should person be punished for that... technicly yes... he did not do everything in his power to stop someone getting and sharing files... be then it is sharing because someone downloaded it from your pc... and then what is diffrents between leaving port open and p2p... all p2p is an open port were someone can access your list... I might be wrong on ruling...

In a way i think its just excuse to do what they think is right... in other words... dont look at ruling look at result kind of thing:/
  6. "Think of your children pledging allegiance to the maple leaf. Mayonnaise on everything. Winter 11 months of the year. Anne Murray - all day, every day."

"What's this all aboot?"
    [pointing gun] "We have ways of making you pronounce the letter O, pal."

:D I love that movie.
  7. If i leave my front door unlocked and I get robbed, is it my fault? i chose to not lock the door.

If i wear a hat on my head outside where everyone can see it, is it my fault if someone grabs it off my head and walks away with it? finders keepers.

i'm just playing devil's advocate. it's a tough one. if you download music, you're acquiring the product without paying those responsible for creating it. unlike tangible things, recordings can be sold without the seller giving up their copy. it's a tough ruling. i think the downloaders are guilty, and the people offering it are really not doing anything wrong. then again, how many people share stuff online without downloading stuff too?
  8. I believe that even if free P2P services were illegal, then people would do what we used to: burn one cd for 20 friends. Still loses them that all-mighty dollar in the end.
  9. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    That's not what I said:]
    If you put it in your robbing extreme terms term... my version would be like this:
    If you leave a house open... someone's comes in and takes your stuff... police will hold you... the owner... the victim responsible:]

if you want to put it in those terms... that how hacking works... and hackers go in through open ports... and p2p is an open port and person on other end just takes what's on your hard drive

Nah... I understand your point... it's a weird issue I don't think there is right or wrong here really:/
    That was my point in post before... I compared p2p to hacking saying that it's not the file holders fault it's the downloader... but its easier to get holders so...:]

I do... in my case... I do buy CDs... A lot of people I know do... I either use p2p for sample... or dloading one song (if CD sucks but one song is okish) about year ago some1 broke into my car took my stereo and stall all my cds that i had inside because I was at friends house and he wanted to look at what I have... all got stolen so I downloaded them again... really I thought I had right since I payed for it at least once and they were all outside my car broken in peaces by those so called people... so that's my story:]

With this issue as for most, there are extremes comparisons... if you seat outside the club and you listing to music inside... is that stealing?
    We can go on and on different examples on how to compare it to extreme examples like murder and etc... Take it to different level of extreme on both sides of issue... etc etc... But it all balls down to this... I think it's only about principles... one side believes its ok other side believes it immoral:]

Music sharing always been around :] christ my 1st Guns and Roses tape was copy # 40 or atleast it sounded like that:] I am sure it was as bad as it is now... problem is again... with this people stopped buying stuff they wouldent listen to... and todays music is not that rich really...
    still some good stuff out... but...

i mean last cd i bought was manson and i just bought toadies (ssshhh toadies rock man:p ) because i cant find place to download since my toadies cds were inside my car when it got broken into... and local band called Enacra for 40cents (demo cd:] they are great if you like metalica type of music)
  10. i was surpirsed to hear that verdict, i was worried it would go the other way. but anyways, as i recall(i might not get it exactly right) but we pay a small tax when buying things like blank cd's that goes directly to the canadian recording industry. why should they sue us when they're getting money from the blank cd's we buy?
    if i got part of that wrong, please correct me :smug: