1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Canadian Bass Prices Absurd ( Fender Dimension Content )

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shawshank72, Jul 4, 2016.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    20160704_120443.
    Was in Long & McQuade today with the kids as we were in town watching a movie.
    Absolutely fell in love with a Fender Deluxe Dimension IV.
    Wow, sounded and felt fantastic and actually had a decent setup.
    Price tag $1.019.99 + 13% tax :vomit:
    So when I go home and do a search I find MF has it for $549.99. Fender Deluxe Dimension Electric Bass IV
    ARE YOU F'ING KIDDING ME!
    Even with the exchange rate this is robbery to charge twice the price.
    :rage:
    20160704_120431.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    So that's $550 American you're talking about on MF? Which is $706 Canadian? And a Canadian retail store is charging $1020? How much would it be with shipping any miscellaneous tax and duty and whatever to buy it from MF?

3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    That's what I'm looking at.
    Import fees are high but Canada Post is possibly striking.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    So how much would it be all in to buy from MF?

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

MF can not and will not sell you new Fender items outside of America. This is the case with many companies, not just Fender. Somebody else has the distribution rights to Canada. Mind you, I thought Fender sold Fender in Canada.

If you could order it you should expect about 10% additional cost on the final taxes and about $100~ to ship it. If you use a courier expect to get your butt worked, they'll add several mystery charges.

Side note, I really hope the OP isn't into Harley Davidson. The Canadian rep sells everything at a markup while Americans get it on the cheap, often on sale. For the most part Fender has been pretty consistent in price matching. I bought my first Fender in 2004, picked out of the paper binder, and we just paid American MSRP in Canadian dollars.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That sucks. Well, Godin makes a fine product.

7. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Florida
    As an American that lived up there for 10 years, I understand your pain. The problems, in no particular order, seem to be:

1) The relatively weak Canadian dollar that today is worth only .78 versus the US $

2) Your federal and provincial taxes

3) L&M taking a larger markup than their US counterparts

Unfortunately, there is no legal, short-term solution for you.

Added edit: Gorn Captain makes a good point about Godin. They make a very nice product and it is a great time for Canadians to buy from their domestic mfgrs.

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Is taking the trip to America just to buy a bass worth it? Is that illegal in any way?

spaz21387 and AndrewTaran like this.
  9. callmejs

callmejs

Mar 2, 2009
    Montreal
    As long as the goods are declared at the border, totally legit.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  10. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    Actually, I think Godin makes me better product. Was looking for an MIA P, tried many at several places. Nothing felt/played like what I imagined, better than my Squier, but not by as much a I thought it would. One place also had Godin, tried a Shifter Classic. It came home with me, almost 2 years ago, never regretted it once. And I have tried many MIAs since, have not found 1 I like as much as the Godin. Fit, finish, components, and especially neck, not even close.

11. Chico Ruger

Dec 11, 2014
    Florida
    Legally, he would need to declare it when re-crossing the border and pay a bunch of inport duties, taxes and fees. Not usually worth it.

Some Canadians might try to sneak it back to Canada, but they would face a lot of hassle if caught,

shawshank72 likes this.
  12. Chico Ruger

Dec 11, 2014
    Florida
    Always thought the Shifter Classic was the shizz, tho' I haven't had the pleasure to play one.

13. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    I agree with the Godin suggestions. That's why I would get if I were you. Personally, I'd probably look into aftermarket pickups, but there's nothing wrong with the stock ones.

shawshank72 likes this.
  14. callmejs

callmejs

Mar 2, 2009
    Montreal
    Hum, on special right now at 699$CAD :
    Fender Musical Instruments - Deluxe Dimension Bass IV - Natural

OP, go for it! :thumbsup:

yodedude2, RedVee, zontar and 3 others like this.
  15. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    spaz21387 likes this.
  16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Flooflox, zontar, Matthew_84 and 4 others like this.
  17. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Hey, $699CAD is $543.752USD, that's even cheaper than MF's price, dammit! :eek:

18. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    Aw damn....as much as I love my Godin, I may have to go try one of those for that price. As well as though, not instead of!

19. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Guess there's not much to do other than order up some poutine, crack open an ice cold Molson, put on a hockey game and set up an appointment with your general practitioner. Eh?

20. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Fingray