1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Canadian Bassists - Could one of you send me a Remembrance Day Poppy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by scott reed, Oct 12, 2013.

1. scott reed

scott reed Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Memphis
    Hello bassists in Canada!

I'd like to get a Remembrance Day poppy but I don't know if I will get up north before 11/11.

Anyone willing to buy a poppy and send it to me asap?

I'll pay expenses via Paypal. Please send me a pm if you can help me out.

Thank you Talkbass Community...

2. They don't do poppy's in the US? Is "In Flanders' Field's" really that intwined in our culture? They aren't out yet, but I would be willing to send you one.

lowsound

3. The poppy seems to be more synonymous with Commonwealth countries today, the US don't really use the poppy anymore AFAIK.

4. I used to have a couple of them but it seems I only have the one I've used for the last few years. Would have been more than glad to send one. I'll keep my eyes open for one.

5. Do you guys get one and then reuse it?

We typically donate for a new one each year.

6. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I see them every year here in Canadia's underpents.

7. I've used the same one for the last few years, but I do donate for another one whenever I get the chance and then give them to family. Walmart used to always have a bin of them and a bucket for donations but it doesn't seem that they're doing that anymore.

I'll ask my sister to see if she can get an extra one from her school ;)

8. I usually end up buying several in a year, because I loose them.

lowsound

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    The poppies used in Canada are very different from those used in the UK. The Canadian version is thin moulded plastic with a metal pin running through it that is easy to fix to your clothes. The UK poppy has a plastic stem that makes the complete flower resemble the original plant. You need a separate straight pin to affix it to your clothes.

Canadian
    http://canadianimmigrant.ca/communi...y-flower/attachment/37093_remembrance-poppy-2

UK
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Royal_British_Legion's_Paper_Poppy-edit_1.jpg

10. We (Scots) have a slightly different poppy than the rest of the UK, I'm not sure if the Welsh and Northern Irish have different poppies:

Final+Loads+Poppies+Made+Ahead+Rememberance+wquydi8tjJAl.

We used to have metal pins until a few years back. It all just depends on which charity is producing the poppy.

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I'll send ya one once they appear.

12. Mysterion

Mysterion

Jan 10, 2012
    Nope. In fact, we don't even do Remembrance Day--We have Veterans Day, which I think is typically contemporaneous with RD.

Most Americans couldn't tell you where Flanders is, much less reference the work of a semi-obscure poet-soldier.

13. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    This is what most Americans think when you say "Flanders".

ned-flanders.

14. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    You have to promise to post a picture of you wearing all the poppies you get....I have a feeling its gonna be a bunch!!

15. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    The poem is fairly standard elementary school stuff. I knw where the region is because I am a cycling fan.