Canadian Bassists - What do you want???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rod Harder, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Supporting Member

Hi everyone,
    I just wanted to get a reaction from the Canadian TB'ers out there and see what bass/amp brands they wish they had access to in Canada. As a Canadian bassist myself I know it's frustrating to see all the USA TB'ers talking about basses I have never seen or played, and with my new day gig I am looking actively to add to our roster of brands.
    Let me know what you want to see and be able to buy up here in Canada that you can't seem to find already.

PS - Moderators; Feel free to move this if you feel it should be somewhere else.
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    MTD's would be nice. They are hard to get here in the 'Peg.
  3. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Who do you play with? I'm in the music program at MacEwan.

On a side note,
    I might considering buying the Dingwall Z2 at your store if you dust it off, put new batteries in it, and re-string it.

4. i havent seen alot of conklins around the Hamilton or Toronto areas. but there is alot of stuff that i have never actually seen in person, or had the pleasure of playing (though i would like to)....such as:

roscoes, hanewinkels, elrick, Zon, and a bunch of others
  5. I think it's a little harder to get to try custom or high end creations besides Lado or Alembic, and the sort. Many brands such as Sadowsky or MTD are hard to find around here.
  6. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Supporting Member

Duly noted,
    I've only been back for 5 days, and I am aware that some of the basses on the wall are in DESPERATE need of some set-up and maintenance.
    You WILL see MAJOR changes in the store over the coming months for the better, ESPECIALLY in the bass department but throughout the guitar/amp area of the store.
    Email or pm me if you're coming in and I'll make sure to be available and I'd be happy to look after anything you need personally. This goes for ANY TB folk in Canada who might be looking for anything as well, I don't usually spend my time on the sales floor, but I'd be happy to help you out personally if you wish.
    In reply to your other question, I am currently only playing with a hard rock cover band called "STIFF", and doing some occasional session and fill in work with several different types of bands in and around town. You can see our website in my profile, please forgive the site, it's temporary until I get the time to host it with a proper domain.
    BTW, Geoff St. Germaine bought his Z2 5 string and the now legendary Prima 6 from me when I was a salesguy at AXE, so if you need any reference as to who I am, I'm sure Geoff will vouch for myself and the store.
  7. Steve-O18

Feb 19, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario

I come from a really small town in northern ontario and the local music store only has a couple of basses in stock at a time. I beleive there are only 3 or 4 right now. I'm going down to toronto in a few weeks to check out music stores. Could anybody tell me which ones I should go to? thanks

8. Hey guys - finding a decent high end bass and amp setup is relatively difficult wherever you are in North America. However we do have have some good outlets and makers here.

I think Long & McQuade have great access to production gear, just get to know your local mgr and occasionally spend a few $$.

Sheldon Dingwall and George Furlanetto are both based in Canada and treat us canucks right - you won't find their gear at a corner music shop, but neither will you find MTD or Sadowsky, etc.

So - it's not so bad, eh? ;)
  9. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    My "Guitar Stores" pretty much sell Fenders, Gibsons, Ibenez, Yahama, Warwicks and the cheap ones to Squier, epiphone.
    So I think I would like any other brand.
  10. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Well.......if it's any constellation.........

I'm from Ontario, Canada........

And I own a Zon and an Elrick.
    Both of which I bought here!

Hey CrazyFingers27......your from Ancaster? I'm from Burlington!

Just keep looking never know what can turn up!

Hey SMASH.......if you ever wanted to check out an iAMP, they sell them at Club Bass in Toronto.......and he'll ship anywhere in Canada.
  11. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    A few stores to check out that have a decent selection and are near the downtown core are as follows: Steves's at 415 Queen west, Long & McQuade at 925 Bloor west, Walters at 2431 Yonge and for used and vintage check out Song Bird at 801 Queen west. There are also some decent stores out in suburbia but that's another adventure.

Happy Times,
  12. Steve-O18

Feb 19, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Thanks a lot for the info Rezdog, I really appreciate it.
  13. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
  14. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    In Vancouver there are no F Bass dealers....No Dingwall dealers....Mothers music when it was here carried both and it seems a shame that these canadian made basses are not available in Van...would be nice to have more Lakland dealers than Clubbass as well as Toronto is pretty far away...that being said I would probably buy from the Dude either way....
  15. I Live in Saskatoon, Sask. Home of the Dingwall! Of all the music stores here 4-5 that carry basses only one ever has a Dingwall in it,(H.E.L. Music) and that's about 3/4 of the time, they do however get some really nice vintage stuff. Lots of MIJ and mexican fenders at L&Mcquade, American fender, modulas and stingray are high end in this store, I think there are 2 of each brand, and you'll find crap, oops! I mean cort and Ibanez at Mothers Music. I won't even start to mention the other store :rolleyes:

So this is why I'm a fan of vintage basses?

(HD's edit - deleted racial slur...)
  16. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Doesn't Timmy "Ray" Vaughn play in your band?
  17. Indeed. Axe Music is certainly a class act. I have nothing but praise for them and Harderman.

18. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Isn't Kinal Basses made in Canada,and if so are they good basses ?. I'm not from Canada but reading these threads I have to ask you guys Why is it so hard to get basses like Ken Smith,MTD, Sadowsky, and (this one I could not believe !) your own F bass. :confused:
  19. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Well, as a Rickenbacker Fanatic, it seems no music stores in Canada are carrying them anymore... but only on special orders...
  20. This is true IMO. I emailed most of the major music chains in Canada looking for a RIC in stock last fall...i found one, in Vancouver...a little out of my way. Not to mention they wanted an arm and a leg for it.
    You wont see many here either for a while, according to John Hall (Ric's CEO) they have a 9 month back order, and they always stock the companies who sell more Rics first.

I bought mine from And even with duties and shipping still ended up cheaper ordering through the States then it did to buy here in Canada.