Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Canadian colleges

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chris Brodowski, Nov 13, 2002.

1. HEAVILY looking at graduate schools in Canada because of fear and disgust of living here.

I know there is UT, York University, and the unattainable McGill University. Would any Canadians mind naming some good Canadian universities for me?

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    It really depends - what are you studying?

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey, I'd like your opinions on something. Back in July, I met a woman who teaches in Brocton, MA. We were talking about how schools here in the uS seem to be getting out of control; she has to have a uniformed police officer in her class all the time for protection she told me.
    Anyway, she told me that the best thing you can do for your kids when it's time for college, is to send then to canadian schools. There were two resasons for this in her opinion;
    The quality of education is much better-students are actually required to work(because they are on the British education system)
    The degrees are recognized here in the US.
    For all you TBer's who have attended college both here, and in Canada, what do you guys think?
    Just curious. Thanks!

4. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    Our Colleges and Universities are gonna be PACKED in the next couple years as a result of the double cohort.

DON'T COME UP HERE IN ONTARIO!

If anything, we're going to be coming down to the US, its gonna cost us a fortune (even more so than usual).

5. That teacher you were talking about was a middle or high school teacher ,,right?/ // Go to a private School, get good grades, then go to good college of your choise. I did and I didn't have to deal with thugs and neither did the teachers....

Fetch!

6. Our Colleges and Universities are gonna be PACKED in the next couple years as a result of the double cohort.

Please explain further; I don't know how much more of America I can take.

7. I'm also trying for college in Canada, but I'm going for a PhD (graduate study); not undergrad.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Would I be accepted if I learned to end every sentence with "eh?" ???

9. I went there! :)

10. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    Queens
    U of British Columbia
    U of Alberta
    U of Waterloo

uhhhh... i'll get back to you on that..

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    students are actually required to work(because they are on the British education system)

Where did you hear that? That isn't true at all! Our education system is closer to that of the States than that of the UK!

I went to U of Windsor, which is a pretty good school, depending on what you're taking. It also has a joint program with Wayne State U in Detroit. From talking to those who've taken courses at both schools, seems like our courses were tougher at the undergrad level, but pretty much the same at the grad level.

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    ...Fear and disgust of living where???
    I hope you don't really think you're any safer there, but that's your call.

I know about Queens University and Queens Theological College in Kingston and Western Ontario in London, Ontario.

here's a link...
    http://www.megamallandmall.com/college.html

At the bottom there are links to each Province listing the colleges. Good luck

13. The fear and disgust thing was for the U.S. in general. And I hope no one will further comment, becasue 1) it's irrelevant here and 2) the thread will be closed down anyways.

Thanks for the info ZuluFunk!! That's a great link!

14. When I said that McGill was unattainable, I meant for me. Congradulations Bass Boy!!!!! LOTS of Canadians in Cornell were rejected by McGill.

So I could go to college in the Northwest Territories? I mean, I like cold, but NOT THAT KIND OF COLD.....What does it average like 40 below for a low in January? I mean, here's cold, and there is Northern Canada cold...

Those people up there are tough mofos. I always wanted to visit that area in the summer though; It's probably gorgeous.

15. Hey Chris. I live in Vancouver, BC. I just graduated from Simon Fraser University (SFU) with my BBA.

If you have any specific questions about post-graduate studies in BC, I can ask around and try to get you some answers.

It would help if you told us what you intend to study as schools have developed certain reputations. For example, the University of British Columbia (UBC) focuses more on sciences while SFU focuses on fluffy arts programs. Likewise, Capilano College has a respectable music program while Douglas College has a really shoddy music program.

Also, be aware that a tuition freeze has recently been lifted in BC. Our new government is very business-oriented and foreign wallets...I mean students have been beaten down pretty hard here.

...I really can't say too much about the graduate studies off the top of my head but here are links to the main schools:

The major universities:

University of BC - www.ubc.ca
    Simon Fraser University- www.sfu.ca
    University of Victoria - www.uvic.ca
    University of Northern BC - www.unbc.ca

Here are some colleges in the Lower Mainland (ie. not in the boonies) but I'm not sure if they offer graduate studies:

Douglas College
    Kwantlen College
    Capilano College
    Langera College

...wow. I type too much.

...Extra, I just noted that you mentioned PhD studies. It would be best to stick to the universities listed. I don't think our colleges offer PhD's. Well, respected PhD's anyways. :D

16. The University of Alberta is a good school (kinda big though in my opinion, probably about 40,000 students). Still a good choice though, if you can deal with winter (take up hockey and it will all be worth it ;)). I don't know much about too many others, but you could try looking into Concordia University in Montreal if you'd really like to live in a nice city, of course the whole french thing might be a problem :p.

17. its going to be so screwed because of double cohort. my brother is in that, hes applying in waterloo, mcgill, mcmaster, simon fraser, etc. i guess it would be better to go out of ontario, because we're so swamped. if all else fails, come to laurentian u in sudbury, you're almost garunteed a spot! hahaha
    peace&plaid
    -shoonk

18. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    Well, OAC (grade 13) has been eliminated in high schools across Ontario. Therefore 2 classes will be graduating at the same time resulting in many people not being able to get into post-secondary schools.

19. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'm not going to comment on your feelings per se, but if it is irrelevant and risks shutting down the thread, why would you start off your post that way?

I can start a thread - "Poll: Ibanez BTB or Warwick Rock bass?"

and in the first sentance write

"FiElDy RuLeZ, but that's irrelevant, so please, nobody should comment on that. I don't want this to turn into a flame war.

What do you think I should buy?"

20. ZuluFunk: You have a point, but if I just said I am strongly considering graduate schools in Canada, lots of people would ask me why I am not as much considering programs in the U.S. Then I would have to explain. I just felt, I guess, that people would have wanted to known background info. But you may be right.

I am considering American schools too, specifically several in California and Washington (State), and Boston and Syracuse University. None in the central part of the country attract me in particular.

I have a lot to narrow down...

Thanks to all who have replied - this really helps me. :) :D