1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Canadian facing death in Iran

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:scowl: :scowl: :scowl: :scowl: :scowl:

2. this is what happens when you put the religious in charge.

3. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    I can't think of a reason to ever set foot in Iran.

4. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Maybe because there's an unbelievably rich and ancient culture there unlike any other on the planet, more history than most places you could hope to learn about, and that they're a society of people like any other held captive by an extreme and violent regime, who could probably use more compassion than condemnation.

5. +100

6. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    I was actually speaking of putting myself at the mercy of the extreme & violent regime. Sorry for the ambiguity.

7. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Sorry for the snippy response, as well. There's just so much bashing of the whole culture rather than just the problematic part, much like our own situation in the States, it's easy to get carried away.

8. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg

I would never bash a culture. Ever.

9. This may well be quite true but the associated dangers involved prompt me to wonder why one go there any time after, say, the turn of the century.

Edit: Also NOT bashing anyone's culture/religion/etc- I don't bash fire but I don't stick my hand into it.

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I bash fire! It builds calluses!

11. aborgman

aborgman Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197
    Yeah, that doesn't seem like a very good reason to go there and subject myself to an extreme and violent regime. Just sayin'.

12. My thoughts exactly.

13. :meh:

14. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I am waiting to see if Iran shoots torpedoes at the US/French/British fleet patrolling the area with their puny little submarines. That should be interesting.

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Maybe they'll request assistance from the Somali Pirates?

16. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    God I hope not...:(
    Iran is not Iraq and if there were to be trouble, it would be a s-storm in a big big way when you consider that Israel may (theoretically) end up being involved. That sort of thing can grow fast...

17. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    one of my co-workers used to visit regularly, she gave a brilliant slide show of historic buildings, relics, artwork, and more. It looks like a fascinating place. If you stick to a few basic rules as a western visitor, you're fine, apparently. (mind you that was a few years ago).

the regime, on the other hand...

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Sad.

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
  20. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Lets keep religion out of this..

I don't even know what to say about this other than it makes me angry. I'm of the mind that I don't care what the culture is, or what the reason is behind a country's treatment of their people, if it's not within the bounds of decent humanity there is no good excuse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.