Canadian hand made bass called 'VR'. Anyone have more info on this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muckaluck, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Played the bass of my dreams today. It's a 6 string neck through design. It says VR on the headstock. The guy at the store says its a hand made Canadian Bass. Anyone heard of these and have any more info on them???
  2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I could be wrong but it sounds like Vadim Rubstov (spelling?) from my town. I've never played one, but they sure look purdy...
  3. notrt

Jun 29, 2004
    :hyper: ...and did you buy it?

If not, can you give us the links---this fellow's stuff is absolutely gorgeous in appearance, and if it sounds 'half as good as his basses look, watch out!

Did you get a chance to play it?

Well??? What did you think about it?

Mr Rubstov lives and works out of Toronto---I have his website if anyone's interested.

One of his 5'ers was auctioned off on the 'bay late last week, and it was a stunning looking piece of work.

4. jdThumpin'

Aug 16, 2005
  5. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

6. In case anyone forgot... he is the nail for frets guys :cool:

His basses sound better then they look IMO
  7. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Sounds like a Wish innovation to me...
    'splain please.

8. Yes his stuff is great, I got to try a 7 string at a guitar show and was blown away. I didn't have the cash at the time and regret it all the time.
  9. I recall reading that when he built his first bass in Russia (or perhaps some other part of the USSR at the time) he had to use nails for the frets.

That said, I've seen guitars with stainless steel rods for frets. I don't think that these nails were of this sort of quality though.
  10. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I haven't played one but the construction looked impecable and I just got done with a Jerzy Drozd so that says something. I think the bass I saw had obscene amounts of paduak.
  11. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I remember trying them at a store that used to be here on Queen St.
    The were light, stunning and very comfortable. :cool:
  12. Orin Isaacs uses them? Awesome looking basses! I'd love to try one.
  13. Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    The Bass is at Encore Music in Scarborough-

How does the Bass sound? It is evident there is nothing cheap about this instrument. It was deep but not boomy, the highs were crisp but not piercing and the mids were growly but not abrasive. I've never played a neck like it before. The neck is concave in its width and it is not bolted, it's built right into the body of the bass. Although one of the knobs is slightly broken I believe there is a treble, mid and bass as well as a pickup selector and a master volume. If I remember correctly the bass is active. It put the Fender Jazz, Kustom and Fender Precision basses that were there to shame.

It's probably one of the best basses I'll ever play but I can't buy it. I'm a weekend warrior playing for an original rock/pop band. Cranking out B-A-E progressions continually would disgrace this instrument and I wouldn't look or feel right with this beautiful art around my neck contrasting with a skinny guy in old jeans and running shoes.

It's cool to know I played such a prestiegious instrument.
  14. Hey Muckaluck,
    What were they asking for it?
  15. Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    I think it was 1750 Canadian or somewhere around that. The only thing is you have to pay the tax on the whole price which would throw that price over 2K.

Although, it's on consignment so I assume you could haggle with the original owner.
  16. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Luthiers Access Group carries them. If you dig around the website, you can find a few pics.

I've played one. It was damaged (it was in a GC!), but the workmanship was fantastic. A beautiful instrument.
  17. notrt

Jun 29, 2004
    Hello to all:

I just got off of the phone with the store a few minutes ago; it's still there, has a 34" scale length, solid maple body with a "really pretty" figure, "...everything works..." according to the seller, and it "sounds really good..."

String spacing +/- 5/8" @ the bridge.

Price works out to about $ 1500 USD.

If it had a 35" scale, it'd be mine now, on the strength of the phone call---but I'm done with 34" scale B strings...This luthier's work is the prettiest to my eyes out there...and I wish it's work for me at 34"...

Phone number 416-691-2686

Richard Collins a/k/a "notrt"