Canadian music scene - best city?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lukas86, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Hey all,
    Im an Aussie, currently living in whistler, BC. Whilst the scenery etc is great up here, but I'm finding it is too much of a tourist town and I'm contemplating a move to a city. With a city, there is usually more culture and a bigger and better live music scene.

Which canadian city has the strongest local scene for indie/rock music? And hosts a lot of gigs and festivals?

Everyone I ask seems to says its pretty much vancouver vs toronto. However, for some reason during the week I spend in Vancouver, the city didn't really seem to 'click' with me at all.

Thanks for your help,
    Lukas

2. Downtown Toronto is fierce when it comes to stuff like festivals/gigs etc. I live in the suburbs, maybe a half hour drive downtown, but there's a lot going on, especially during the summer.

Montreal's music scene is pretty strong also, although it helps if you're fluent in French. :p

3. vancouver used to be great and i bet it still is,but you have to look a little deeper........

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Toronto has to be better than Vancouver.

Its a real battle to get a good paying gig here, unless you have connections.

The weather in Toronto sucks though. Very hot and humid in the summer and snowy/freezing in the winter. Vancouver gets alot of rain, but the temperatures are among the mildest in Canada.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    As an outsider whose been to Toronto a few times, it's one amazing city with some of the most diverse culture I've seen...and I live IN Chicago...just check out how diverse they run from China Town to Kensington Market to Queen West to Toronto Centre. I've spent a full day (it takes a while) on most of my trips up there just walking from one of these neighborhoods to another. It's remarkable how much change you encounter, yet how safe and free you can feel in each one! If you try that in a city like Chicago, you might end up in the wrong neighborhood.

Toronto is my favorite city in Canadia (intentionally misspelled), one of my favorite cities outside of my own city, in fact. Too bad it's also a city that doesn't seem to favor non-hockey fans. ;)

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Toronto or Vancouver dude for sure. Van city has a lot of cool stuff, you just have to know where to go. Summer festivals etc from what I've seen It's BC all the way.
    I doubt any festivals are big here during the winter because, you know, it's freaking cold.
    Let me know where you end up and we'll grab a coopers ;)

PS. I know what you mean with the tourist thing, whenever I hit up Banff I get annoyed by all the Australian accents haha.

7. Yeah I did love Chicago as well when I was there. I actually thought Ottawa was a pretty nice city, but Im not sure what they're scene is like, although there are a couple of universities there, which could work in my favour with young people etc.

At the moment Im swaying towards Toronto. But I must say, what's with all the bums asking for change in the canadian cities? There has to be twice as many as most US cities. I get sick of the homeless bums pretty quickly.
    Thanks for you help guys.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I like the Tragically Hip. I know nothing about Canada's music scene.

9. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    You just summarized it with the first sentence.

10. rosanne

rosanne

Sep 30, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    There's as great new studio up in Terrace - Rootworx - a friend of mine helped put it together. But....not much of a music scene there. Don't know what the owners were thinking of.

11. Toronto or Montreal for sure.

12. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    There is lots of panhandlers in Vancouver. They tend to migrate here because the winters are warmer. You could easily die from exposure in a Toronto winter night.

13. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Certainly not Niagara Falls.
    Worst music scene in Canada.

Toronto is pretty good. I wouldn't have thought it was THAT good though...

14. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Toronto and Montreal are good. Typically, Quebec does not have that much of its own awesome music scene, but it acts as a meeting point for bands from all rural areas, which often means great shows.

15. Montreal, Halifax, Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton, in that order.

16. Toronto is expensive to live in from what I've heard. Twice the price of Montreal.

Montreal has a pretty extreme music scene, either reallytrendy hipster indie music, trendy DJ club music, or grindcore. Fierce competition and you gotta stay trendy there but lots of people willing.

Halifax is becoming bigger by the day. Over the past 5 years it's been exploding.

17. jumbo_steelie

jumbo_steelie Supporting Member

What he said. Though I have a buddy of mine living in East Vancouver and it has a nice thriving hippie/indie scene booming. Head to the Commercial Drive area. It might not be your cup of tea, but it certainly is entertaining.

18. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I wouldn't say there is much of a music scene at all in ottawa.

small indy/hipster scene, and some metal bands is about it.

19. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Pauls in Dog River?

20. The Toronto indie scene is big. Really big. Good if you're an indie fan. Indie shows left right and centre.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021