Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Canadian musicians..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ugly Cassanova, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Do any of you guys know of like any summer bass camps in Alberta that you can go to for like a week and learn a whole bunch of things?

And to the rest of the Canadians, do any of you guys know of any Music schools that are high schools? Kind of like Notre Dame, where you stay at and like live there, but learn music instead of sports??

Thanks if anyone helps.

2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    If I'm not mistaken, there is a Community College in your town, with a music Department run by a Colleague of mine. He isn't a bassist, but can get you started with theory, transcribing and a bunch of other useful musical skills. Have a snoop around, and you might find the place. . .

Best regards,
    Laurence
    Vancouver Bass Conference (now July 26th)

3. Whos your colleague?!?!

Yes, but i'm too young to attend the college, and i'd love to just get away from this town to another high school for personal reasons too.

4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    His name is Bill, and I believe he heads the music program there. I wasn't suggesting that you attend the College, but rather get in touch with him and see what kind of lessons you can set up for yourself. Best,
    LM

5. Aaaha Bill! What a small world we live in. Bill is my jazz teacher at the all-star jazz band i'm in over at Keyano. Ahah, that is awesome that you know him, he's a great guy. I accually playing music with him on Saturday. Good stuff.

6. I go to an arts high school, but its not boarding or anything...i'm sure theres one or two somewhere....cant help much though
    -shoonk

7. Why does this thread make me think of "Office Glenn"? ....... Never mind.

8. Talena is from Canada

all the original members of Kittie are.

9. Many people are from Canada. What's that got to do with the thread? About as much as "Office Glenn" does, I suppose.

Jeez, things must be slower than I thought... I'm starting to talk to myself.

10. the name of the thread is Canadian musicians and I though it would be a thread about Canadian musicians not for them.
    That got my hopes up for talking about Talena, and when I saw what it was about I decided to still mention her. If you read many of my posts you probably should know I will mention her at any chance

11. Oh, pardon me. I usually read the thread before I reply. Only after reading and understanding what the thread is actually about do I jump in with a reply that has nothing to do with what is being discussed :D

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    *COUGH*CASSANOVA RIP OFF*COUGH COUGH*.

13. Sorry, its a band.

So i'm guessing no-one can help me?

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Bryan Adams is from Canada.

The canadian government has apologized numerous times.;)

15. Just a thought.... since you're studying with Bill, and he's the head of the Music dept. at the Community College there, has it occured to you to ask Bill. I would imagine that he might be able to point you in the right direction.

16. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I live in Virginia, and thus have no knowledge of music education to be found in Canada. But because this thread has turned to talking about Canadian musicians (for absolutely no good reason, might I add), I felt I should offer my two cents. One of the most talented bands that I have discovered in my musical pursuits, Rush, hails from Canada. Whether or not you like their sound, the abilities of each member (Geddy Lee on bass, Alex Lifeson on guitar, and Neil Peart on drums) are undeniable, and the way in which they play together and write to complement each other is something rarely seen in any style of music. Of course, this is all nothing more than my humble opinion. :)

17. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Dude, Office Glenn is DEAD... oh wait, now I get it. ;)

18. Beauty, eh? ;)

Mayfield High School in Brampton Ontario is an arts high school and has a music program. I've heard a couple of young folks from there play in a jazz trio, and was quite impressed.

However, you must live in the area AND be accepted to their program after applying (I think an audition is required as well). It is not a live-in school like Notre Dame.

They have a website here:

Mayfield Secondary School

Good luck in your endeavours!