Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CANADIAN schools where i can take electric bass???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by furiously funky, Sep 25, 2003.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    okay, im looking at universities for next year, and i was what schols take electric bass. i've been looking at some, anybody have experience with st. fx, concordia, or humber collage??? any ideas would help! thank you.

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Concordia has it. You should talk to ConU - he went there.

I believe Carleton U. also has it, but only upon request as a special program.

3. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    I went to Concordia,and I know some guys who went to Humber...waddya wanna know?

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Humber and Mohawk I'm told have an excellent Jazz program...I've played with students and alumni from both schools and have not been disappointed.

5. Darren R

Darren R

Sep 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Check out York University. I'm in the same boat you're in....but I'm not sure if I should go for bass, or for something I could use with teaching music..:spit:

6. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    well, im really looking at humber, what is the program like there vs. what i would find in a degree program?
    thank you very much!

7. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    They are similar,Humber is more performance oriented in the sense of quantity...which can be a good or bad thing.
    A degree program is more in-depth and demanding.Generic music studies are heavily emphasised which affect your playing in countless ways.Unless you're at an advanced level regarding your ear and theory,private study is discouraged in 1st year so that you can focus on basic music language.
    This scares away some younger players because they want to play right away,run before walking so to speak.It catches up with you though if you have'nt "taken care of buisness" concerning ear training and theory though.
    Humber is great though,I know some killer players from there.
    Any school is what you make of it.
    Hope this helps!!

8. I attended both Mohawk and McGill University. You can audition at both schools on electric. To graduate from McGill you will need to learn DB. From your profile, it appears that you alredy play DB so this shouldn't be a problem. Here is my opinion of both schools.
    Mohawk had a decent program when I was there. There were maybe seven or eight really strong players. It was a good place to get my DB chops up, as I hadn't been playing it for long. The program is in a little slump right now. The university programs are getting most of the players. The combos are also put together by faculty so you can't choose who is in the combo.Last time I checked Willie Jarvis was the electric bass teacher there. Pat Collins teaches double bass. (When I attended Paul Novotny was the DB teacher, although I was allowed to study with Jim Vivian in TO my last year)

McGill has a very strong program. I had some friends who transfered from McGill to UofT and feel McGill has a better overall program. I found there was much more crosspolinization at McGill between the classical and jazz programs. As a bassplayer you could play in the big bands, combos and the orchestra. Many of my fellow bassist had auditioned there on electric. The combos are also put together by the students. There is no set electric bass teacher at McGill although many of the faculty members do play. (although Alain Caron lives close by!) DB teaches include Daniel Lessard, Alec Walkington and Brian Hurley.
    If you need more info just ask!

9. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    This is where the degree program and Humber differ:

Placement exams
    General placement examinations will be administered by the Department of Theory in August for both new and transfer students planning to enter the Faculty of Music in September 2003. Musicianship and Keyboard Proficiency Placement Examinations are mandatory for all incoming students.* Students who sat the Rudiments/Musicianship exams during their audition may opt to sit these exams again in August. The Melody and Counterpoint, Elementary Harmony and Analysis, and Music History exams are necessary for students seeking exemption from these 100-level courses. Incoming students should view these examinations as compulsory; these tests are diagnostic and there is no academic disadvantage to taking them. Please note that students who do not sit placement examinations will be automatically placed in the lowest level courses

Jazz Instruments
    (Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone, Piano, Guitar, Bass, Voice)

[Note to Electric Bass applicants: If accepted, you will be required to switch to upright bass.]
    A live rhythm section accompaniment will be provided.

Select one piece from each of the first three categories below. For each of your selections, prepare the MELODY and an IMPROVISED SOLO.
    1. Blues: Billie's Bounce; Au Privave; Straight No Chaser; Tenor Madness; Sonny Moon for Two; Blues Walk.
    2. Ballads: Body and Soul; What's New; 'Round Midnight; I Can't Get Started.
    3. Jazz Standards: Blue Bossa; Solar; All the Things You Are; So What; Green Dolphin Street; What is this Thing Called Love; Stella by Starlight; Four; Night and Day.

The candidate should also prepare:
    1. Classical Study:
    A short study or étude of the candidate's choice.
    2. Transcription:
    For both taped and live auditions, please prepare one transcription. You must play your transcription along with the original recording. For example, play along with the original recording of Charlie Parker's improvised solo on Now's the Time. The object is to evaluate accuracy, style, time concept, articulation, phrasing and sound. The transcription should be memorized and, for live auditions, be sure to bring a CD of the original recording of your transcription to play along with.

Candidates must be prepared to play/sing major scales and modes, major, minor, dominant seventh chords and arpeggios, diminished seventh chords and arpeggios, diminished and whole tone scales.

Sight reading will be given.

Bassists will be asked to demonstrate walking lines as well as solo ability on all four pieces

If that seems difficult to you,a year or two at Humber,then McGill may be the way to go.
    It sounds like that's what BassBoy did,first he went to Mohawk then McGill.

To go to McGill straight from High School requires 2-3 tears of previous basic,formal study.

Concordia does'nt require that you switch to DB.However the ear-training and theory courses are essentially the same.
    I graduated from Concordia with a first rate musical education.

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If you'd like to be in the Rockies, there's Selkirk College in Nelson, BC (where the film Roxanne was shot).