Canadian Smokers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Antipop, Feb 26, 2005.

1. We are stupid according to the government commercials.

Can we sue them?
  2. genderblind

genderblind Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2004
    This whole thing is a blatant attempt to see if people will submit to state control of their lives in general.
    If people don't start standing up for themselves, it will only get worse.
    The talk now is that no-smoking bylaws will be tried in Montreal... somehow I think the governments are in for a surprise this time!
  3. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Well, no offence Antipop, but YEAH, YOU ARE!
    You know that smoking is dangerous and increases your risk for lung cancer, emphysema etc. Yet you continue to smoke. I know (not personally) that it can be very hard and painful trying to give up smoking, with your motivation being that it might eventually kill you. But we non-smokers have to put up with your smoke.

The only people in my view who have a real good excuse for smoking is people who started smoking when they didn't know it was dangerous.

Basically its just the people who have no will power and give in to peer-pressure who smoke. If you were to take a sample of the smokers and non-smokers around my school, you will see a corrolation in the data that the smokers are practically 'stupid'.

I'm sorry if i have affeded any people, but it just had to be said.
  4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    You're friggin RICH too. What's a pack of smokes running these days, $20CDN? (I'd make a joke about that being $1.68 US, but US $'s are loosing their edge rather quickly...)

My mom's originally from NW Ontario and every time we go up to visit I just shake my head and wonder how you all can afford to smoke, drive, and drink!!!!
  5. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I haven't smoked since 1990 or so but I don't think it is right for a government to dictate what people can and cannot do.

To me it all boils down to two types of people.

1. You are OK with the government governing societal structures.
    2. You aren't

I am not part of #1 but I've observed most people are #1 type whether they either admit that or even understand that.

...My .02 worth,

6. didn't offend me :eyebrow:

This wasn't me asking if I was stupid, it was more a question if the government plays commercials on a regular basis calling all smokers stupid, can canadian smokers sue?

I agree with the not smoking attempt, that is fine but actually saying we are stupid can be considered offensive.

Anyone have knowledge in Canadian law that has seen these commercials?
  7. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    If I was the government I'd change the laws as soon as you tried to sue me. Then I'd go pester random people on the street :D
  8. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003

Well here in the UK it is known that cigarette companies give the government alot of money each year. I don't know a precise figure, but i know that it is more than the NHS recieves.

So the government can't really go around slagging them off, whilst taking their money.

Also, if they tried to change the laws and ban smoking, the UK would need to have tremendously high taxes to compensate for what the cigarette companies paid the government.
  9. Currently, smoking is just about the only thing we CAN do in the UK without Mr Bliar and his stormtroopers sticking thier noses in - unless you are in a "designated No Smoking Area" of course. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If we REALLY want to change peoples livesforthe better, we should stop pratting about with tobacco legislation and look at ALCOHOL.

I'm just waiting for the day when Trust Me Tony decides that vegetarianism is de rigeur and meat eating is outlawed. ;) ;)

The one thing you can be sure this government will not ban is hypocrisy. :D :D :D :D
  10. I was recently in London, and I dug the big, blatant warnings on the cigarette packages. Same thing in Canada.. when I was in Toronto seven years ago, the cigarette packs said things like, "Smoking will KILL you" in big, black letters. They should do that here in the U.S., but it'd never fly with the tobacco industry.
  11. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    I just don't get it. I picked up some cigs once. The box said "Causes cancer and messes up pregnent womens babys really bad" (or something to that effect). I said "Holy crap. This is legal death. Slow, lingering, eat-your-wallet-because-of-kemo-treatment death, but still death." Put the pack down. and moved on.

Isn't the whole thing like,

If someone made some bread that would kill you in time, and they just desided to "warn" people about it on the label, how fast would that mess get CANNED.

Money speaks. Greed rules.
  12. i'm not offended by them, we all know smokes are bad, half the pack is a warning against them, so i'm not too offended. however, i am annoyed beyond belief at these ads. they're so annoying it makes me want to start smoking again. :p
  13. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    ha! I agree with the ads being stupid though.

The facts should speak for themselves, the government shouldn't NEED to say something like "U guyz r stoopid for smoking" when it says they will kill you right on the box. Seems like a waste of taxpayer money.
  14. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    As long as cigarettes can make you sound like Tom Waits, the battle against tobacco will not be won.
  15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    The reason that they're focusing on tobacco more is because alcohol is something you do to yourself-smoking screws with the allergies and lungs of everyone else around you.
  16. No. Can't accept that old anti-smoking lobby chestnut.

Try walking through any City centre on a Friday or Saturday night at about 11.00 p.m. and then tell me that alcohol is only something that "you do to yourself" and doesn't affect others. When was the last time you saw someone losing their lunch in the street or beating someone up after smoking too many cigarettes??

We are being BRAINWASHED and the sooner we wake up and smell the coffee ( :) :) ) the better.

If and when smoking is banned in pubs and bars, my position is simply that I will no longer go to pubs and bars. To be clear, I speak not as an habitual smoker but someone who smokes a maximum of maybe 5 cigarettes in a day and very often goes 2 - 3 without smoking at all. I know it is a cliche, but it REALLY IS the principle. I own my body and , so far as I'm concerned , I can do whatever I like to it. :) :)

As I think I said earlier, the amount of stress caused by the constant barrage of garbage perpetuated by the anti-smoking lobby is much more harmful to my physical (and mental ;) ) health than smoking a few cigarettes.

I know that we will never agree on this but I truly believe the issue is one of personal freedom. I may totally and utterly disagree with your point of view, but I would fight to the death for your right to express it. :) :)
  17. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
  19. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    That is too laughable to even comment on. What tobacco company do you work for?