Canadian TBers(Verizon ISP) beware.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DaftCat, Apr 26, 2005.

1. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Did you hear that? That was the sound of thousands of Verizon customers making Baby Ruths in their undies.

brad cook
  3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I wonder how many thousands of Canadian TB'ers are we going to have to set up a defense fund for? Please refer to the "Do you steal Music Post" for an accurate count!
  4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm with Videotron but I don't steal music, so I'm ok :)
  5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    It's only aimed at file uploaders. The Canadian courts have already ruled that downloading is legal. I don't know how they can split hairs like that (it's OK to download infringed material but it's not OK to infringe on copyright??), I'd like to know how they rationalized their decision.

Oh yea, it seems that Comcast here in the US may be doing the same thing as well.
  6. Well part of it has to do with tariffs imposed before and tariffs imposed after that ruling on recording media. A certain fee is paid on each MP3 player, CD-R/RW and audio cassettes (for anyone that actually buys those anymore) that is apparently passed on to the recording industry as compensation.

Additionally, it is written in Canadian law that you can make backup copies of copyrighted material for personal use, but it doesn't specify where the material comes from (that is that you record from your own copy or get a copy from somewhere else.. which is kinda ridiculous). Those two things combined made the court rule that downloading was legal, but uploading wasn't (as you aren't making a copy and you aren't recording it to media obviously and it is obviously distribution). They were talking about introducing tariffs on hard drives as well, but I don't know if they are going to. As a result I download tons of music as I record them to CD for my car and I pay a levy on the CDs I buy in order to do that.

There's some info in this article.