1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Canadians Bad Tippers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ricnroll, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Ricnroll

Ricnroll

Dec 30, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
    This came up in a Band Mangement thread, I thought more discussion on the matter might be better off in OT.

Here's a very recent news article that indicates Canadians are bad tippers http://www.wcax.com/story/19307681/s...customers-more .....so much so that the establishment feels a need to tack on an automatic 18% if the patrons appear to be Canadian.

In the other thread a TB'er suggested that "bad tippers are referred to as "Canadians", whether they are from Canada or not. As in, "Be careful of table 27, they were here last night. Total Canadians."

Is this a prevalent feeling throughout North America and the world or is it a local problem in the Vermont area?

As a Canadian I would like to believe we are well received anywhere in the world.

2. PersonalTraynor

PersonalTraynor

Jan 14, 2011
    Lady parts, Canada
    peaveyTraynor freakazoid...
    Lol When I lived in Lass Vegas back in the day, Many of my co workers and friends thought I was a bad tipper!

They said: Whats the difference between a canadian and a canoe?
    " A canoe tips"

So yeah I know "I'm" a bad tipper, and I'm from Canada....Anyone else?

3. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Am I mistaken or don't restaurant workers get minimum wage in Canada (which I believe is higher than US minimum wage)?

I was recently in Canada and my Canadian friends told me only to tip 10% for this reason.

In the US, servers almost never get minimum wage so tips are a large part of their income.

4. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Apparently, tipping is not customary in France because restaurant workers are paid a living wage.

5. PersonalTraynor

PersonalTraynor

Jan 14, 2011
    Lady parts, Canada
    peaveyTraynor freakazoid...
    +1 To Tractorr. We make a higher wage as servers here. Even us cooks get paid way more, but often get absolutely nothing in the way of gratuities...

6. Ricnroll

Ricnroll

Dec 30, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
  7. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    So with taxes it is probably about the same as the US. The thing is in the US servers generally only get $2.13 an hour and the rest of their income comes from tips.

8. Ricnroll

Ricnroll

Dec 30, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
  9. Ricnroll

Ricnroll

Dec 30, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
    I'm having trouble figuring out why the base wage of the server would affect the calculation of the tip?

10. iJazz

iJazz

Jan 9, 2012
    Sussex, WI
    It would seem to me that any establishment tacking on an 18% tip surcharge based on surmised national origin is guilty of discrimination and subject to legal action for doing so.

I've known many very nice Canadians, so yes Canadians are nice people, but when I was tending bar only a very few of them would ever leave any tip at all. I live in Wisconsin. Then there are the Aussies...

I had a pair of Aussies in the hotel for a couple of weeks. After they had brought one of the sweetest waitresses we had to tears by working her with very high demands during a dinner for three which ran over $350 and then not leaving a dime I tried to explain to them the American tipping etiquette, in as gentlemanly a way as I could. My thought was that they might want to know what kind of an impression they were making. They thought it was so funny that they had the courage to leave me a two cent tip in an envelope when they left several days later.

In the course of their stay they had the cash to drop about a $1000 on hotel booze alone, which meant taxes were paid on $80 worth of tips never received; tips which by general convention would have been in the range of about $150.

Very funny, those Aussies.

iJazz - "When in Rome..."

11. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    It is a matter of custom. The US has setup a system where the take home pay of servers is mostly made up of tips, so a 20% tip is not uncommon. The theory is that servers will be motivated to do a better job by the increased income.

In Canada, the idea is that people should be paid a proper wage to begin with and that a tip is just that, a gratuity.

Also, a server usually has to tip out other people in the US: host, bus staff, bar tender, and dish washers. So the tip isn't only for the server.

12. Ricnroll

Ricnroll

Dec 30, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Gratuity.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_(gratuity)

.....in some circumstances, failing to give an adequate tip when one is expected is a serious faux pas, and may be considered very miserly, a violation of etiquette, or unethical. In some other cultures or situations, giving a tip is not expected and offering one would be considered at best odd and at worst condescending or demeaning. In some circumstances, such as with U.S. government workers, receiving of tips is illegal.

In Vancouver failing to leave a tip certainly falls into the "faux pas" or "miserly" category mentioned. (unless service was abhorrent)

+1 to iJazz - "When in Rome..." it is important to know the etiquette of any place you are travelling to

That is a sad story you tell about the Aussies. I understand that in Australia tipping falls into the "giving a tip is not expected" category mentioned above. But when travelling.....

13. actually, and I'm not sure how it is elsewhere, but in ontario servers get paid slightly under minimum wage, so that tips make up a part of their taxed income. Tipping is fairly common, at least where I am. I don't particularly like tipping, at least as a necessary thing, especially because of the decreased wages - but then I get crap from servers and such about it occaisionally. So I've taken to the habit of leaving a 10 percent tip - it's not much, but I never expect much from servers aside from my food, and I never seem to get much else. Actually, in the restaurant I work, the servers also tip out the other people in the kitchen.

14. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Personally, I use tipping as an indication of the quality of service. I'm very generous when the service is good and friendly (as much as 25%). If the service is bad, you can bet the tip will reflect how I felt about it.

I'm also inclined to report to the manager about stellar service, as much as I am if it's truly abominable. I believe good service should be rewarded.

15. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Sure but most of the workers probably get slightly under minimum wage so it is equivalent.

Something that hasn't been brought up is that the wage difference is also configured into the food pricing. Food prices at equivalent sorts of restaurants tend to be higher in Canada. Obviously there are a number of reasons for this (a slight currency difference, Canada doesn't seem to artificially adjust their food costs as much as the US, and of course labor).

Again what this all comes down to is not that Canadians are bad tipper, in Canada they are tipping the correct amount. In the US they are tipping below what is customary.

When in Rome...this is why most guide books now include a section on tipping while in other countries.

16. Ricnroll

Ricnroll

Dec 30, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
    From above...
    Tipping in Canada
    In restaurants, leaving a 15% tip on the pretax bill is standard. Tipping is expected for bar service, too.
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/canada/practical-information/money-costs

Is 15% considered miserly?

+1 Good on ya handofseven!

17. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Canadian here, and yes our servers and bartenders here get min wage which is 10.25$ here in Ontario. Same as everyone at Walmart and McDonald's and janitors and everyone at Costco. No one tips at McDonalds so why tip at a sit down place? This makes tipping in Canada a gratuity, for an above average service you get something extra, a tip! Standard tip is the normal 18% for a job well done, less if it was ok but not great and more if it was really great.

I had no idea american servers made 2.13$! That is crazy, totally gonna tip next time in up in Detroit for a meal!

I think canadians tip poorly when abroad because they don't know the servers get 2$ an hour.

Edit: IfI am making min wage at my job, and go to eat and the server is making the same as I am and does nothing beyond the required tasks of serving, tipping makes no sense. We both do our jobs and get paid the same I am not going to just give extra money due to 'peer pressure' or society. Maybe that's different in the USA due to a big wage change, but you'd know its risky when your getting into that job and know part of your wage relies on you being nice and happy and good at serving instead of bitter and lazy (as some are).

18. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm the same. I see so much bad to mediocre service these days that when the service IS good I tip very well and will make a point of mentioning the service both to the server and the management.

I have to admit that I always assumed things were consistent across the border where tipping was concerned - but, again, if the service was at all decent I would be tipping at least 15%. I'm glad I know now though because I go to Vermont quite often. :D As for "imposed" gratuities - I've seen that at a number of restaurants, both in the U.S. and Canada.

19. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Exactly, although you seem to be fairly good tipper at 18%. 18-20% is fairly standard in the US.

I suppose I was hanging out with some of these infamous bad tippers in Canada because they were all telling me to leave 10%, yet they all said they tipped more in the US. I swear Canada is the strangest place to me because it is just like the US only everything is ever so slightly different.

20. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Yeah it's just a bit off lol

But if I get great service and I'll tip 15-20. However if the meal seems to be over priced already and service wasn't special I won't tip or tip low.
    For example I went out and ordered a salad for my dinner (im a vegetarian) and I was basically given lettuce and dressing on a small plate and charged 11$. This was NOT the side salad it was the dinner salad.

I was shocked, it was like a 4$ salad max. No way I am tipping on an over priced meal like that. I felt really bad for the server too.