1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Canadians: Where do you get your finishing materials?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DanGouge, Sep 1, 2008.

1. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I've refinished a bass with gunstock oil (which is essentially idiot-proof) and I would do that again, but the project I'm doing now will need a solid colour (due to some imperfections in the grain). My problem is that many finishing materials available from US companies cannot be shipped across the border due to some kind of government regulation.

Where do those of you living in Canada (or anywhere else outside of the US) get your materials?

2. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    Well Canada is pretty damn big, it would help to know where exactly youre from. There are Lee Valleys in almost every big city (except Montreal) and im sure you can find what you need.

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I'm in the Toronto area, and yeah, there's a Lee Valley here. Do they have luthier-quality stuff?

4. low end fuzz

low end fuzz

May 9, 2008
    royal city;
    they carry mohawk products and stuff;
    theyre out of hamilton;
    i used to smuggle all of my finishing stuff back from the states; but then when i was working at a custom cabinet place, id get sent there to pick up small orders and colour matches; and they got everything;
    from nitro- to paste fillers; water based and alcohol for almost everyhting!
    last time i checked theyre website was crap; but i think it had the number and theyll send you a catalog or somtin; i personally just drive down there and shop!

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I'm having no luck googling Royal City, where abouts are they in Hamilton?

6. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    Canadians: where do you get crazy carpet?

7. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    You mean the ones we get in the gay village....?

8. low end fuzz

low end fuzz

May 9, 2008
    its on barton street i beleive; on the outer edge, coming in from stoney creek;
    i'll try my best to remember to look; i definatly have at least one can with the original label on it;
    if your still looking and it looks like i forgot pm me; i am very a.d.d.;

ooh a blue car!!

grant

9. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Barton... sounds familiar, my brother went to Mac so I've spent time in the Hammer.

10. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    crazy carpet comes in cans? i'm tripping out

11. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I live in Hamilton. I can't find that place either.

Lee Valley Tools has a limited selection of finishing materials. You can see their catalogue on line.

I go to high end paint stores, not Home Depot, for most of my finishing supplies. For real varnish, not polyurethane, I like Benjamin Moore. It dries very hard and can be polished out to a mirror shine. They also have a Moore Varnish that I really like for fast, wipe on finishes. It's called "I Hour Clear Finish" and available in semigloss or gloss. It dries as fast as lacquer. I thin it 50/50 with naptha for wiping on multiple thin coats. You have to work very fast but there's no chance of dust drying in the finish. I can do 3-4 coats a day.

Boiled linseed oil you can get anywhere. Lee Valley sells real Tung Oil and used to sell spray cans of nitro lacquer.

For de-waxed shellac the best I've found is Zinnser's Seal Coat. I get that from a trendy paint store.

It's hard to find good brushes in any paint store. I usually order them from Jeff Jewitt at Home Style Finishing (I think that's the right name)

Small artist brushes are available from art supply stores.

Waterlox Tung Oil varnishes are available at a few places in Ontario. One I go to is in Burlington. Check on line or contact Waterlox for a place near you.

I can order powdered dye from Jewitt at Homestyle and other places. There's not much of that in stores around where I live.

It's tough finding everything you need in any but the biggest cities in Canada.

12. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Yeah, it makes me wonder what George Furlanetto or Sheldon Dingwall did to get started.

13. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I can imagine it would have been tough. It sure drives me nuts at times.

There are places for pros who do a lot of spray work. But usually you have to buy in large quantities.

14. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Well, here goes, I think I'm going to try to get to Lee Valley on the weekend.