Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cancel that noise!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Shearstown, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    so I put $250 down (Only $549 to go) on my new Standard jazz bass (lefty). But it has a bit of a buzz. What would be good to get rid of that and still have a very excellent tone. While I'm here Do lefty's need special pickups or will any fit. I'm hearing too much bad news lately on me having having to special order things.

2. When you say "Standard" are you meaning a Fender (MIM=Made-In-Mexico) standard Jazz bass? $800 is a lot of money for a MIM Standard bass... do you mean a MIA jazz?

Older (pre-2000) MIM models used the same pickup for both neck and bridge. This means both were wound the same direction, compared to the MIA (made-in-america) basses having one pickup wound Northgoing and the other Southgoing for hum cancelling properties. Older MIM basses hum, even with both pickups fully on.

All true single coil pickups hum when used solo. DiMarzio bi-lateral single coils (two pair, side-by-side) such as the Model J and UltraJazz are hum cancelling, as are stacked humbuckers.

If hum is still a chronic problem, look for grounding/shielding issues with your bass.

3. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    It's 800 Canadian and that's tax included so it's not that bad. It's an MIM But I'm in love with it. Except for of course the hum.