1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Canceled a show because of a Hurricane and got threatened with being fired...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by RadioactiveGuy4, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Well we almost had a Hurricane hit New Orleans Saturday night but thankfully it missed us.

My band was originally going to play a show Saturday night. We are a 3 piece all original band and typically play for tips but it is by no means a professional band. Anyway 24 hours before the storm was sit to hit we had rehearsal and I told the guys that we should call off the show due to the impending storm. The Drummer agreed with me as well. Our singer/guitar player seem to not be happy with the decision but just said ok and after running the set really quick he left and didn’t even say good bye.

Well 24 hours later the storm turned and missed New Orleans. The curfew that had been imposed on the city was lifted and we all breathed a sigh of relief.

The morning after I get a message from the singer that we should have played the show and accused the drummer and I of not having the desire to go out and play shows. He then went on and said that if we backed out of a show again last minute to consider our selves replaced.

After reading the message I was fairly pissed off. I didn’t respond to the message so that I could avoid saying anything dumb.

After I gave myself a few hours to calm down my first reaction was that I need to quit this band.

Maybe I’m overreacting which is why I’m writing this post.

What do you guys think?

wmmj, Ellery, bdplaid and 1 other person like this.
  2. mmon77

mmon77

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    I think cancelling the gig was the right thing to do. I'd be pretty upset about the singer/guitarist's reaction as well. If it were me, I think I would talk it over with him, and see what his problem is. If he really feels the way he said, then I would quit. I wouldn't want to deal with someone like that.

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I don't think canceling the gig was the *wrong* thing to do, but I probably would have let the venue make that call- don't wanna screw over a place that gives you decent gigs.

4. Short on hurricanes here but if there was a forecast 50% chance of earthquake I'm staying home.

steve_ss, Socobass, -Asdfgh- and 8 others like this.
  5. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    THIS

6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016

In the sequel, Helen Hunt points out your singer, 'riding the storm out'...

... you did the right thing.

equill, farace and BuzzCanyon like this.
  7. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    If I read it right, there was a city-imposed curfew in place, so surely the venue would have been closed anyway?
    That said, I do think it would've been at least professional to contact the place and get their input beforehand rather than just make the decision yourselves.

On the singer/guitarist issue, is the the actual BL here...ie is this HIS band?
    If so, and if placing a show above his band's safety is his attitude, then take your drummer and go find a better guy to work with.
    If it's a democratic band, tell him to get over himself.

8. Decent gig? OP said they play for tips. I thought slaves were sold rather than fired.
    Find some people to work with who get better (paying) gigs.

9. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    If you're a bunch of kids, you know, living the band dream with 5 house mates and not much to your name besides music gear, I would have played the show or showed up waiting for the venue to make the call. What do you have to lose?

If you are a bunch of adults, with families, kids, mortgage, you go home and protect you and yours.

If the latter, and the BL acts like that...I'd have a meeting to tell him to put his rock-star ego in storage and get his head on straight. You're playing for tips at a bar, not headlining a festival. (nothing wrong with that, just a different level of gig)

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    First off, they play for tips. This is not a "decent gig".

Second, in my thirty years of playing in a hurricane belt, I have NEVER had a venue say they would rather err on the side of safety and cancel the gig. An asteroid can be headed toward the venue and the manager/owner will say "There's still a chance it won't hit us. I'm gonna be pissed if you guys don't show."

Third, look at recent history in New Orleans. They have been banged up. The storms have been COMPLETELY unpredictable. And flooding happens when they get just a hard rain.

@RadioactiveGuy4 you did the right thing twice. First, cancelling the show was the right thing to do. Second, waiting to calm down before responding was the right call.

I have played with guys like your guitar player. Their lives are so miserable that playing gigs is their only source of joy. If you get in the way of that you are to be destroyed.

Give the guy a second chance to talk this thing out. Maybe at next rehearsal? If he is still a beeping beephole beeper beeper about it, kindly get your things and go. He won't change.

11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    @two fingers Some of the best gigs I’ve played were for free. It’s not about the money for everyone.

12. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Well, the threat is what would rub me the wrong way. And for what sounds like an unpaid position save for a few tips...i would definitely question my future in the group. The guy just sounds kind of unreasonable, and i would expect it to continue.

Dreamsinger, Socobass and smogg like this.
  13. The city of New Orleans imposed a curfew (which is where I was going to weather out the storm) but then lifted the curfew about an hour and a half later when everyone realized the storm was going to miss us. The Venue was in a suburb and it was not under cerfew.

Oddly likes this.
  14. I think that dude has issues if he's going to hide behind some text instead of telling you this to your faces. You're probably better off w/o him. You should turn the tables on him & tell him the next time he pulls a chicken crap move like that he's fired.

15. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    This should have been settled at rehearsal. Coming back after the fact with a grievance is a cowardly thing to do.

16. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    S. Texas Hill Country
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Yep. I'm with KbD. Life's too short for this. And besides, you're in New Orleans, surely there's other folks to play with. I'd spare the guitarist and tell him thanks but it's been nice, and move along. Given the history of storms in our (gulf) area recently, I think you did the right thing.

Socobass, smogg, bdplaid and 4 others like this.
  17. You've answered your own question with the above quote from your OP, I think. It's exactly the same as I'd be doing!

chupacerveza, Socobass and smogg like this.
  18. LOL ...tell him to pound his balls flat with a 5 lb sledge hammer.

19. Hmm, interesting choice, why 5 lbs.?

RSBBass, pcake, Herrick and 10 others like this.
  20. To fill out some info for folks. We are all adults with jobs. The singer has a family with kids.

I was told when I joined the band that the project belong to the Singer but I write my own parts and have even written a song for the band. Honestly I’m not sure who is in control of the band. It has been pretty democratic up till now.

The venue is just an ok place to play. I have had several issues in the past where they say one thing and then when we show up to play another thing happens.

I play music for fun. It’s a hobby for me. Any money we make would go to recording.

This is the some of the best music I have played since I moved to NOLA which is why I’m having a hard time making this decision.

Thanks for the responses guys. You are giving me thought that I may have not come up in n my own.

Keep them coming.

Oddly, Loring, Duder and 1 other person like this.