Cancer sucks

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Jul 12, 2005.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My dad has cancer. That sucks. I know that some of you already know how terrible it is to hear such news.

It's a very slow-forming cancer, which has some ups and downs depending on how you look at it. The up side is that he doesn't have to go through agonizing chemo treatments that will leave him very sick and in pain. The down side is that since the cancer isn't aggressive it CAN'T be treated with chemo and it isn't typically curable and it eventually kills. The average person diagnosed with this kind of cancer lives 6 to 10 years after the diagnosis. That sounds like a long time and I'm greatful for that amount of time but I can't help but think of how he won't be able to see my kids grow up and of what my mom will eventually have to go through when the disease finally claims him. The thoughts have already cost me some tears. I'm ok with sadness but I want to get through that part so I can be optimistic and supportive as well as look forward to the many years he still has left.

I don't particularly want answers, advice or suggestions, I just wanted to share what's going on in my life. Prayers are appreciated.
  2. You got my prayers buddy , best wishes for your dad.
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Right with you, bud. I don't know "first hand" how bad it sucks yet, but I'm likely to find out here shortly.

Best wishes for your family, Brad.
  4. If you need someone to talk to, you can PM me. It's not much, but the door's open.
  5. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Best wishes to your dad Brad.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, I know how you feel. :(

The thing that sucks about these kind of threads (aside from the matter at hand) is trying to think of something worthwhile to say. So I guess...

Cherish the time you know you have, with my dad, I could have swore he was going to get better from the begining... but he didn't. I don't know what you could do/should do... but do it.

I'm going to find the guy who invented cancer and kick his ass. :(

7. Throw in a lick for me, he took 3/4 of my grandparents.
  8. Aqueousillusion

Feb 8, 2005
    You have my prayers. And I hope that the time you have with your dad is spent with joy,love, and as much laughter as possible. My mom had cancer, and it seemed those were the best medicines out there.
  9. My mother died of cancer and it was a very painful and long process seeing her demise. My prayers are with you.

10. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I lost my grandfather to cancer a couple years ago, it definately sucks.

Do not give up though! There is no such thing as a "typical" case of cancer! Your dad needs to get the best treatment he can, and will need your support doing it. Go to an oncologist now and start doing everything you can to attack it. There are ways to treat cancer besides chemo and surgery.

Best of luck to you and your dad, I know this is a hard thing to go through and you have my support.
  11. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    My prayers are with you. And do not despair. It seems scientists, doctors, and researchers are learning more and more about this disease each day. All hope is not lost.

12. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've lost at least 2 very close people to cancer, and it does suck.

I really don't know what to say other than I hope you feel better... especially your dad.
  13. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I feel your pain dude. It's difficult watching somebody suffer knowing you can do nothing to help them.
  14. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    So sorry to hear. Best of luck to you and your family.
  15. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Share this with lots of folks and you'll receive the energy of their prayers. I lost my mom in 2001 from it and it was my friends that supported me. You have LOTS of friends here, even if I haven't met you, I'll think about it and hope for the best.

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I feel your pain. I lost my mother to cancer.
  17. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Lost my father to a incurable disease of the lungs a while back ... All my prayers and good energy to you!

no one knows how long he/she really has.... try to make the moments count.
    - Tom
  18. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    im sorry to hear that bro. its really sad. my aunt had breast cancer, they thought they got it all out, a year later she had cancer cells all over her body. she eventually died of lung cancer, but she had it in a few major organs.

it sucks, and im sorry.
  19. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Sorry to hear that Brad. I can identify. I lost both of my parents to cancer, within six months of each other. Guess Mom couldn't be without Dad. Dad was long and slow and the last time I saw him alive I knew it was the last time. Mom was quick and shocking. It's hard to believe that it's been over 12 years. My parents had such high hopes and dreams for me and they never got to see any of them, wedding, child, etc. It makes every milestone in my life bittersweet. Keep strong and cherish every moment.
  20. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    I'm very sorry Brad :( I recently lost my grandmother to cancer, which was also pretty much untreatable.

You have to enjoy your time together and make sure you leave yourself with lots of good memories full of happiness. Thats the way I imagine my nanna.

You'll be in my thoughts :)