Cand I add a power amp to my setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kingbrutis, Jun 1, 2005.

1. kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I searched the threads and didn't find what I'm looking for. Anyway, I sold my Mesa 400+. I bought a Peavey T Max amp(solid state with tubes). Nice amp with good tone, just not loud enough. It has a peamp built in. It is 350 watts @ 4 ohms run into an Ampeg svt 610 cab. It is rated 1200 watts@ 4 ohms. I was thinking about adding mabey 400 more watts. That way I dont have to kill the Peavey (it's to 11 now). But how do ohms come into play? What has to be done to bridge the amps (if it can be done at all). Thanks Joe
  2. cirwin

May 2, 2005
    The simple answer is that there is no way to "bridge" two separate amps. If the Peavey has a pre-amp output on it, you could use it to feed a separate power amp. For instance, I sometimes use the pre-amp out on my Eden head to feed signal to my QSC PLX 1602 power amp when I want more than the Eden WT-330 can do by itself.

Ohms are the units of resistance to current flow (amperes or amps for short.) The less ohms (resistance), the more current that will flow and the more watts the amp will deliver - up to a point. The problem is that the amp is designed to handle a certain amount of current flow. Above that, it can overheat and (best case) shut down temporarily or (worst case) burn out parts and necessitate a trip to the repair shop. Check the specs on the amp and don't connect speakers of less resistance than the manufacturer suggests. Remember that speakers connected in parallel (the way most speakers are) have less resistance. Thus two 8 ohms cabs have a total load of 4 ohms, two 4 ohm cabs have a total load of 2 ohms.

Hope this helps - you'll probably get a lot more good advice from others.

Charlie Irwin
  3. If it has a preamp out then yes, dont think about plugging the powered output of the peavey into another power amp, fire bad, FIRE BAD!

4. kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    On the back of my amp it has pre amp out, power amp in. I guess that awnsers that question. So I guess, what do you look for in a power amp? I have read the sound kinda steril. Thanks Joe
  5. Tube Power sections add alot to the tone, but i think all SS power amps are basically the same

Its the preamp that controls the sound mainly (in SS anyway), so you should get more or less the same sound just louder
  6. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    why did you sell the mecca of all amps, to get a peavey?

7. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Why would you want to drag an underpowered head and a power amp around? Either get a more powerful head or go to a preamp/poweramp rig.
  8. maybe he was tired of the hernias ?
  9. kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    You are partially right, but mostly it was a money issue. Even if I do add a small power amp, I will have spent half the money of what I sold the Mesa for. Also, I really didn't care for the tone when it was cranked. I know, eveyone will say tubes are the best, but it just wasn't for me. Thanks Joe
  10. kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Will this bee what I am looking for? Spec from the Peavey PV900. If it putting out 300 watts per side @ 4 ohms, do I just use one side? Is bridging putting both sides together? Doesnt that bring the ohms down? Sorry for the stupid questions, I just dont know. Thanks Joe

PV® 900
    Item # 00512860
    MSRP: $449.99
    The new PV® Series power amps retain their two-channel design, high power points and exclusive Peavey features and technologies—such as DDT™ compression and Peavey patented Turbo-V™ Cooling. The PV® 900 delivers 300 watts per side into 4 ohms, 180 watts into 8 ohms and features detented input gain controls. It's a real workhorse.

2x450 watts at 2 ohms, 2x300 watts at 4 ohms, 2x180 watts at 8 ohms
    Massive toroidal transformer and storage capacitors
    Peavey patented Turbo-V® cooling system with 2-speed demand-sensitive fan
    Built-in 150 Hz/18 dB/oct subwoofer crossover with TRS output
    DDT™ soft limiter protects amp and speakers
    14 gauge steel chassis
    Rear rack supports
    Mil spec fiberglass circuit boards
    Current in-rush limiter
    Overheat, short circuit, clip limiting, DC, and faulty load protection
    Detent gain controls
    Neutrik® Speakon® and 5-way binding post outputs
  11. You might want to check if you can bridge it, also, i dont think you'll get a noticable volume increase with that, id say look for at least 1Kwatt ;)
  12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Dump the PV or keep it as a spare. Get a real (and lightweight) pre and a separate power amp. Crown, XLS or CE, QSC RMX, etc none of those will set you back much ...