1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Candles in the Rain by Melanie Safka

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassfuser, May 9, 2010.

1. bassfuser

bassfuser

Jul 16, 2008
    I heard this on the radio today which took me back to my junior high days. Does anybody have any idea who plays the bass on this recording? It's a cool line that I didn't appreciate when I was 14. Probably didn't even notice it back then.

I may be way off, but it sounds like a line that James Jamerson would have played.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Wow flashback, Herbie Flowers is listed as the bassist.

3. bassfuser

bassfuser

Jul 16, 2008
    Thanks for the response. Never heard of the guy but he did have a nice line.

4. DreadRaver

DreadRaver

Nov 19, 2008
    Associate of Cusack Music / Mojo Hand FX
    Yeah, that is a great line!

I noticed it myself about a year ago and checked out Herbie Flowers...
    He's primarily known as a session player; you'd know him from his work on David Bowie's "Space Oddity", and Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side."

He has quiite an interesting backstory, read more here:
    http://www.answers.com/topic/herbie-flowers

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I recall this tune from back in the day. Never really considered the bass line until this thread.
    OK...I bought this tune last night & wow, Flowers is kickin' some butt.
    And this is "Brand New Key" Melanie? Sounds like she coulda been the Alanis of her day...if "they" had let her. ;)