Candy Apple Red - degloss/matte what would it look like?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassometer, Apr 5, 2018.

1. I have a Squier VM P5 in CAR with a maple fb. I love this instrument but hate the shiny loud finish. I was considering deglossing it with scotchbrite or by wet-sanding but I can't find any pictures of what it would look like.

Does anyone know if there is a base coat under the finish on the Squier's? Maybe I can sand through part of it?

2. Any takers?

3. I bought a Fender MIM 60's Jazz Bass from a friend who deglossed the finish with super fine steel wool. I can't remember exactly if it's 4X or like 4000 grit paper. It simply took the shine off the finish I do think it looks older and more vintage than shiny new. Of course if you use steel wool be sure to tape off the pickups and electronics so none of the fallout gets on them.

4. Thanks. I was thinking about steel wool but heard that it can be really messy. I might give that a try

5. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    The only thing that I could possibly compare it too is when I had my 95’ Ibanez SR 500 Soundgear Bass repainted candy apple red. The guy showed me the bass at every stage or coat sprayed so I could also make sure everything looked good. I was also curious about the process and he may have been doing that to simply appease my curiosity because the guy took the time to educate me about everything he was doing. I remember seeing the bass right before he clear coated it and even though it had a metal flake base, the bass looked very different until the clear coat was put on. I still remember what it looked like but it’s kind of hard to describe. Honestly, and in my opinion, candy apple red looks much better with a gloss clear coat on it, rather than no gloss clear finish. I wish I had a picture of mine to share but I didn’t take any photos. I had the bass painted literally, a week after I bought it brand new in 1995.

beardedclam likes this.
  6. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I agree with this in my mind’s eye. CAR is a loud shiny finish that is supposed to be sparkly under lights.

Mine has a small ship and shows the gold metallic undercoat.

I tried to turn a scratched up black bass into a matte finish and didn’t get it to work out well so it’s another project on hold. I tried steel wool, fine car paint sandpaper with wet sanding .. just couldn’t get it right yet.

beardedclam and Bassist Jay like this.
  7. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    When I was the artist rep and sales rep for Zane Guitars, we did a few custom shop guitars in candy apple red. Let me see if I can find any production pics of any of those guitars before the clear coat was added. If I can find some, I’ll post the pics on here.

8. + 1 to Bassist Jay. If you can find a thread of someone doing a CAR finish they might have pics of it before the final buffing which will be how yours would look if you de-glossed it.

Also I doubt the Squier uses a traditional gold or silver base coat with a clear red over that. It's probably a one shot finish they call CAR.

9. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    I found a video on YouTube of a guy who bought a deglossed candy apple red guitar. Maybe this will give you an idea.

10. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Look at Fender.com. The Nate Mendell p bass is deglossed CAR.

beardedclam likes this.
  11. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

One-shot or not, it's in there! Check out the highlights brought out by the sunlight. :cool:

LvIjuov.jpg
    BF4HXHb.jpg

@beardedclam; Interested in a CAR Squier Jazz body to experiment with? :whistle:
    (I know…I'm shameless!)

12. Thanks for all the good info; its a big help. I think my best bet is to just sell the body, it's in great condition. I'm ok with the idea of deglossing it but from the video I can see that it will look even worse sanded. Maybe I'll just strip it and dark stain it (even though basswood has a bland grain I think it is a fairly consistent wood, I think it will take a stain well).

If I sell then I have to wait for a VM P5 body to become available (none on stratoshere, e-bay or reverb), that could take a long time. There are only two other colour choices: Oly White & Sunburst (I prefer the later with a maple fb).

Sell or stain?

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021