Candy burst over metal flake

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by happychicken, Mar 25, 2018.

1. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    Thanks again before I even right this out.
    I am in the process of stripping rattle can paint from an all parts jazz body. My original intention was to use the alsa mirror chrome system then spray candy over that. After reAding reviews on almost all of the spray on chrome products it seems that they suck and at most give you a silver base not really chrome.
    I then order a few ounces of holographic metal flake which I will shot through my 1.9 nozzle primer gun once I throughly clean it mixed in intercoat clear.
    Here is the fun part.
    I want to spray a 3 color candy burst over the flake. I want to do House of Kolor lime-gold in the middle to organic green to oriental blue. I can put my gun to spot the lime and put the blue on but the question is how to put the green in. I was planning on going light with lime and blue edges and airbrushing the green in? Any ideas would be helpful

StreetScenes and Stumbo like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Pics would be helpful. :thumbsup:

3. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    I’ll post pics as soon as I have it to the point of adding green right now it is just a sad looking body I’m taking the old paint off I don’t like using periods or writing in full sentences

4. SM2

SM2 Endorsing Artist : Curt mangan Strings

Sep 12, 2016
    St. Augustine Fl
    In my experience, especially House of Kolor products, the candy colors generally work best of their base coats, typically pagan gold and silver metallic bases. they do have new (ish) Shimrin 2 line and you can get the faux candy finishes, which would be much easier to achieve a candy burst (true candy anyways) with. I personally have never used it for an instrument, but have used a ton of their products on cars and motorcycles.

I have been toying with the idea of using some of their black pearl colors and the UC35 clear coat on a bass. The UC35 has an extremely high acrylic solids count in almost fuel proof and has a really awesome flow to it. So i though it would hold up on an instrument really well and wear well over the years.

5. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    StreetScenes likes this.
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    There are some good liquid chrome products on the market but none of them come in spray can form, and you have to be absolutely perfect with your application or the effect will be off.

As far as HOK Kandy colors. I just buy the Kandy Koncentrate and add a few drops in a PPG base coat binder. Holographic flake doesn't work well under a kandy, regular silver flake over a silver base is your best bet

Stumbo likes this.
  7. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    Cool what are some good spray chrome products that was the original idea I would love to do that.
    I have been looking for pics of candy over holographic flake and they are hard to come by.
    Thanks for the responses I am getting closer!!

8. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    Oh and why doesn’t halographic flake work under candy? I believe you just curious

9. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    76224ED3-EB18-4F4C-89F4-2C8CA89D3B49.jpeg

BritFunk, Stumbo and Matt Liebenau like this.
  10. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    Warwick finally done. I love the kameleon paint now I can concentrate on flake jazz bass. It’s important that your bass change color while your playing hymns at church- helps people concentrate.

BritFunk likes this.
  11. That paint is wonderful stuff isn't it?

IMG_20171107_204828599.jpg

BnB

BritFunk and Stumbo like this.
  12. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    I was so happy to find the paint with pearl pigment which is the only reason I was able to afford to paint it. All the kameleon paints where crazy expensive.
    Guitar looks good!

13. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    E1AB9F87-BF5E-4EEF-BD90-4DA0D3C43D5C.jpeg 8DED95D5-9B55-4F56-B997-9BDC341306F3.jpeg E1AB9F87-BF5E-4EEF-BD90-4DA0D3C43D5C.jpeg E1AB9F87-BF5E-4EEF-BD90-4DA0D3C43D5C.jpeg E1AB9F87-BF5E-4EEF-BD90-4DA0D3C43D5C.jpeg B74E859D-FD8B-42E4-98D6-A43D85E902B2.jpeg B74E859D-FD8B-42E4-98D6-A43D85E902B2.jpeg 19ADB639-72BA-49AB-98BE-3FAAA98A58CE.jpeg 9D4C3BB2-6D92-406F-B0A7-C97215FE3FBE.jpeg A6506222-FB6C-4B06-AD8F-4E76400CB769.jpeg

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  14. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    So here are the pics the good the bad and the ugly. Overall I’m pretty happy but controlling the blotchy green was impossible I know I’m not a great painter but still really tough. In hindsight I would have gone gold green then blue not try to cut green in between the gold and blue. Oh well

15. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    Oh and also auto flake sucks! Looks good but it gets all over everything!
    That and the pearls in the Orion silver were about the same size so it was moot to use them as the silver did a great job of being sparkly by itself. If I used a .015 or bigger auto flake I think it would look great but then it would mean buying a flake gun for 180 bucks and honk that noise.
    However can’t say enough good things about the House of Kolor show clear it layed down pretty flat also this ani r150 mini gun is the real deal. So much better then the guns I used before. Not trying to advertise here but when something does what it says I think it needs to be commended.

16. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Sorry for the delay,

This is a pretty good liquid chrome Eastwood Liquid Chrome and Black Base Coat. Application is key, your black base coat has to be perfect then the chrome has to be dusted on with a touch up gun and built up very slowly. Its definitely not an easy finish.

Holographic flake will work under the Kandy, but the trans color coats will remove the holographic effect.

17. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    You don't need to spend a ton of money on a flake gun. I use one of these https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-31216A-Gravity-Nozzle-Aluminum/dp/B000UVHM3W. It works well and is cheap enough to throw away and get a new one when it starts clogging up.

HOK products are great but you pay for them. I usually use their flakes/candies with other products.

18. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    Thanks for response Hopkins! I looked at the liquid chrome but it was too expensive for me. What are good paints to use other than the House of Kolor again getting pricey!
    Have you ever tried a Vinyl sealer for cabinets instead of the 2k primer? Looks like it will work and again much less expensive

19. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I seal bare wood with the same 2k urethane clear I use for the clear coats. PPG makes a product called Shopline that is good for the money. The JC60 is $80 for 1.25 gallons of clear and hardener. Their base coats are good products as well.

I use Shopline or Nason base coat binder as a flake carrier and to mix the candy and trans colors.

20. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    Now that is some valuable info literally! I have been paying like 80 a quart with catalyst for the House of Kolor clear. That seems like a great value and for that price I wouldn’t mind using it as sealer also.
    What is a binder? I still have no Idea. Is it like the intercoat clear?
    Thanks again you have been a great help