1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Candy's Slap Bass Method

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Stev187, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    I searched TB and saw no mention of an old method book I have, Candy Candido's 1937 Candy's Slap Bass Method. I've kept it around because it has some interesting stuff in it; the method is geared for beginners and focuses on dance band playing. Here are a few shots. I think it was re-issued in the 80s for a while. It was originally published by Cole.

Anybody know this method? Any info or stories about it? You've probably seen Candy in old movies; he was very short, dressed in drag, played bass, and had a very deep voice. Can't miss him!

--Steve

candy1.jpg

candy2.jpg

candy3.jpg

2. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    No, never run across him before. But thanks for posting the scans -- I love old photos like that. He looks like a real character!

3. Stev187

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
  4. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Wow - I want this book...

5. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sweet Youtube clip!

Oh crap, "Now play somethin' hot."

6. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Man, I'd love to thumb through a copy of that book. Till then, I'm off to shed After You've Gone.... what a tune!

Levin likes this.
  7. Stev187

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    That wide-eyed beauty is a 29-year old Joan Crawford. I remember seeing Candy in old movies; I think he's uncredited and in the band in a number of them, including some of those great 30s musicals that generated tons of standards. He did some singing and bass playing in drag, and I can't seem to find that on YouTube.

EDIT: Yeah, now I remember. He was in a few of the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers movies. Here he is one year later in 1934 playing bass on the bandstand in Roberta.

Candy also appears to have been really short. I think that's a 3/4 bass with the end pin all the way in.

--Steve

P.S. Send me a PM if you want to know more about the book. Despite the slap bass title, it's a pretty standard method book with scales and popular melodies.

8. tstone

tstone

Nov 16, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Levin likes this.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Nope - never heard of him until now. I thought I was old, but I see now that I'm just a 'youngun' - compared to this thread!! :p

10. fearless

fearless

May 12, 2009
    I rented a house from candy in Burbank and he was an awesome guy
    Would you sell the manual ?

eh_train likes this.
  11. Does anybody have a pdf of this book? I'm doing a presentation on the history of jazz bass books for a class and would love to learn more about this method. Thanks!

12. I've run across references to Candy and watched some clips etc, but first time coming across this old thread!

+1 for getting a copy of the book, PDF... anything...

13. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
  14. CYSI

CYSI

Nov 1, 2013
    Schaumburg, IL
    I have a copy of the book

15. Awesome.

Candy had fallen off my radar, nice to get a blip again.

16. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    I need this.

17. There was a copy of this book at the local music store for years. It always made me laugh out loud when I saw it. I wish i had bought it, in hindsight.

18. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I have a copy of this book. The first half is actually a standard classical double bass method that was actually published under another author's name, but the section on slap and dance band playing is probably Candy's contribution. It's not very useful from a musical perspective, but it's an interesting look at a time when jazz bass playing was still a fairly new concept.

- Steve

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    bassmanbrent likes this.
  19. bullyspud

bullyspud

Oct 15, 2011
    paris, france
    oH MY stars i would love to get a copy

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021